Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Arance, Oranges" New Painting in Progress



This is Day Two on this painting of oranges and lemons from a market in Florence, Italy -- the latest work in my Market series. This is one of those paintings that looked phenomenal just in the underpainting stage -- when I first lay in the darks with Burnt Sienna and French Ultramarine Blue to "deign" the painting. You can see some of that underpainting on the parts of the painting I haven't touched yet.

I'm definitely having fun. Large forms, generous scale, loose brushstrokes, intense color, happy painting -- the perfect formula for me. It's hard not to love it.

My son Sam turned 21 today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SAM!

His birthday present from Randy and me was "Michelle II". See yesterday's post.

I'm not sure "Arance, Oranges" will be the final title on this, but it will do for now.
"Arance, Oranges" work in progress, 24"h x 36"w, oil on Senso linen, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

By the way, Randy and I had dinner tonight at the Old Brogue in Great Falls where my painting "Lemon Yellow" hangs as part of the Great Falls Studios group show through the end of August. Check it out and these other exhibits before they close at the end of this month.

"On the Bright Side" solo show of 23 paintings and drawings at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA through August 31. See my web site for more information about that show.

and "Still Life Poetry", a group invitational (fantastic) exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon, 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA -- where I have four still lifes -- on exhibit through August 30.

And, come see me at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA. Open Saturdays, noon-4pm and the First Friday of every month, 7-9pm. Plus, by appointment -- call 703.403.7435.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: