Monday, August 10, 2009

"Michelle I" Getting Better


Last night I worked more on this portrait of Michelle Anonick, my son Sam's girlfriend. Husband Randy asked me how Sam's latest critique went, and I had to hesitate and then laugh. My response was approximately this: "Let me start by saying that Sam thinks this is the best portrait I've ever done. But, he also thought I made her left eye look a tad bigger than her right. Which, we then agreed really was the case. So, he left me to work a while longer and I told him to take a look at it when I finished. Then I get the question, 'What did you do to her eye? Now it looks smaller than the other one.'" My conclusion, the kid's nuts. Nice, but nuts.

I will work on her hair, ear, background, clothing, and arms ... but not her face. In the words of Goldilocks, "This one's just right."

I have been really busy lately with some great goings on with more to come this week. I started a great new painting on Sunday that I'll show you in a post coming up, plus enjoyed the opening at ArtSpace Herndon of the "Still Life Poetry" exhibit I'm participating in. I'll also post photos of that fantastic show. It's beautiful! You have to see it. See ArtSpace Herndon's web site for open hours.

Tomorrow's the last day of my still life class for the summer session ... so I'll be spending all day teaching. Wednesday I'm being interviewed by Brian Trompeter from the Sun Gazette. Thursday, I'm giving a tour of the Artists' Atelier (the studio space I share with 15 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G) in the morning and my "On the Bright Side" exhibit at the Great Falls Library (9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA) in the afternoon. Friday night, Saturday and Sunday I'll be teaching a Portrait and Figure Painting in Oils workshop through the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts. There's still a space or two in that workshop. If you're interested in signing up, email me at jillbanks1@aol.com or call 703.403.7435.

"Michelle I" work in progress day 4, oil on linen, 24"h x 18"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: