Friday, July 31, 2009

"Reflections" Painting On the Easel


I've been working on this one for two days so far. I've been toying with what to call it because all its parts come from different places. The silver tray was inherited from my Aunt Ruth. The orange is borrowed from Judith St. Ledger-Roty. It's been hanging around the Great Falls School of Art (where Judith and I teach) for ages... and this orange has starred in countless paintings there. I figure that it must be petrified by now but it looks no worse for wear. I think the books are my Dad's. The green glass bottle is mine. I go around "robbing" my own house every Monday before each Tuesday's still life class. It makes an interesting crime scene.

I have been painting like crazy lately. I am really driven at the moment (more than usual) to reach new heights in my painting. And, I'm seeing the progress. Many of my latest paintings: "Sunflowers and Gladioli", "Give Me Liberty", "Lemon Yellow", "Peonies" and my latest portrait delivery are all magical to me. I'm pushing two elements in particular: light and spatiality. And, maybe one more ... boldness with big, generous forms. I'm happy with it.

"Reflections" is definitely a work in progress. It falls a little outside the mold described above due to its complexity. We'll see how it goes.

I've decided (finally) on the pieces that will go to ArtSpace Herndon for the "Still Life Poetry" August Exhibit. I'll be showing "Sunday Morning" (taken from my "On the Bright Side" solo show), "Peppermint Stick and Pencil", "Peonies" and "Sunflowers and Gladioli."

"Reflections" work in progress, oil on linen, 16"h x 20"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: