Monday, July 20, 2009

Portrait Delivery and "On the Bright Side" Reception


This past Friday, the couple captured in this portrait saw it for the first time -- with an official unveiling in my studio. I've worked on it on and off in my studio for months, and I get the distinct feeling that they are my most famous sitters to date. Everyone who has seen it instantly recognizes them and were excited to see this work in progress. The few who don't know them, love this painting anyway.

The portrait commission was a gift to them from another client of mine. (A pretty wonderful gift!) Edited out by the artist (me) was Victor's plaid shirt. This is what I love about this portrait: the sense of relaxation and ease, the striking composition, and the light airiness of the environment. My famous couple were thrilled with it, too. Yea!

I made minor changes to it and framed it for them to pick up during my "On the Bright Side" reception this Saturday at the Great Falls Library. The exhibit is up until August 31 at 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. Regular hours are Monday-Wednesday, 10am-8pm; Thursday & Friday, 10am-6pm; Saturdays, 10am-5pm; closed Sundays. If you haven't seen the show yet, I hope you'll stop in and consider purchasing a piece or two. I would be glad to give you a personal tour if you'd like. Contact me at jillbanks1@aol.com or 703.403.7435 if that's of interest. Sold so far are "Limoni", "L'Auberge Chez Francois", "The Duomo" and "The Gondolier." That means there's still a chance to purchase "Rainy Day Market", "Sunflowers II", and "Rooster and Geraniums," to name a few.

Last night and today I'm working on one of my two Michelle paintings. I guess that makes it no longer "alla prima" ... maybe "alla two time-a". Now, both son Sam and his girlfriend, Michelle are excited about it. Sam was smiling ear to ear.

I'll show you later my progress on "Michelle I". I'm really enjoying painting her. Part of it is the opportunity to spend time with her and part is painting the portrait from life.

The portrait shown is oil on linen, 20"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009. Find out more information about commissioning a portrait on my web site: www.jillbanks.com. See portraits on my gallery page and info on the commissions page. Portraits take time, plus I have a very full schedule of already commissioned portraits I'm working on ... so if you're interested, meet with me and book now for 2010 delivery.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: