Friday, October 23, 2015

That's a Wrap ... Plein Air Brandywine Valley 2015

"Barn at Granogue," oil, 12"h x 24"w, ©2015 Jill Banks. This is yesterday afternoon's (Thursday, October 22) painting at the private Granogue estate. By day's end, white-faced black cows wandered to the edge of the fence (on my right) to check out my progress. They were too late to star in this show.
Sometimes silence on my blog means I'm painting too much. By the time the painting sessions are done, there's not one ounce of energy left to type. You know how taxing that is.

"Painting the Pump House" (of painter Lisa Prinzo on the grounds at Winterthur), 10"h x 8"w,  ©2015 Jill Banks
"Scarecrow," oil, 10"h x 8"w, ©2015 Jill Banks.  Painted at Coverdale Farm Preserve. I was a late arrival to this fantastic property on our first day of the painting competition. One of the signs of a great event is that you just wish it would go on and on ... I would have loved to have been at this one spot for days. Most of my time here was spent painting the one piece that couldn't be finished on site.
I just handed in my last painting (It's the morning of Friday, October 23) being hung right now in time for tonight's Gala, Show and Sale for Plein Air Brandywine Valley at Winterthur (a $100 ticketed event benefiting Children's Beach House).  Since this past Monday, 75 painters and 75 photographers have been capturing the Brandywine Valley in designated spots, 7am to 5 or 6pm each day. I started eight and finished seven. You've seen two of those ("That's What I'm Squawking About" and "Janssen's Market") in my previous posts.

"Horse Ties" (Thayer Residence), oil, 12"h x 16"w, ©2015 Jill Banks. Even though ... as usual ... there were many subjects I was dying to paint, these two equine buddies held my attention the whole day. What beauties! Chickens, very free range, clucked happily behind me. My only complaint was that this painting and I were such undeniable gnat magnets. I took a sanity lunch break in my car for 20 minutes or so and came back to an almost completely gnat-covered canvas. Great.
"Piano Al Fresco," (Marshalton, PA) oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©2015 Jill Banks.

Winter classes are now up, too, on my web site. Take a look!  I'll be teaching a Portrait Painting/Drawing class this January on Sunday afternoons. Class size is limited and if you want to join us, don't wait. As School Director Julie Casso mentioned today -- that is not a ploy to get you to sign up. The class will fill and I hope you'll be in it.


Thanks for reading!
Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 

See the Events page for more info/updates
October 19-25:  Plein Air Brandywine Valley, Juried plein air competition, wet paint show and sale in Delaware.
December 3-6: One Of A Kind Show and Sale, Merchandise Mart, Chicago, IL

No comments: