Monday, October 19, 2015

Plein Air Brandywine Valley: First Day

"Janssen's Market," oil, 12"h x 16"w, ©2015 Jill Banks
This week I join a bevy of painters and photographers selected to capture the Autumn scenery in and around Brandywine Valley. My first stop setting up my easel was at Janssen's Market in Wilmington, Delaware. Funny to know that of the 75-ish painters, I was the only one selecting to set up there this morning. Did I get the wrong memo?

Yesterday's demo -- painting Kurt Laubinger during Day 3 of the Great Falls Studio Tour.
In the afternoon, I found where many of them had gone ... the Coverdale Farm Reserve ... a really idyllic spot, right up my and apparently a lot of other painters' alley. I create two paintings there accompanied by pigs clinking pails and LOTS of chickens discussing something by my side. These two might require a second look before possible posting here.

At Plein Air Brandywine Valley, I'm one of the few newcomers at the event. With no time to wander around or ponder locations, each day is bound to come as a surprise. Hopefully, a happy one.

The event is organized so that each day we have a handful of potential locations -- with no options to set up again at the site. I'd love to go back to Coverdale Farm Reserve and try that again.

The opening gala where artworks are available for viewing and purchase is on Friday, October 23, 7 to 10pm at the Visitor Center of the Winterthur Museum and Garden located in Wilmington, Delaware. The works will remain on display for purchase and vieiwing throughout the remainder of the weekend and are free to the public. (Saturday, October 24, 2015 from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. and Sunday, October 25, 2015 from noon - 3 p.m.)

A portion of the proceeds from the art sales will benefit Children’s Beach House.

Find out more about the event: http://www.pleinairbrandywinevalley.org/

Looking forward to more adventures tomorrow.

Thanks for reading!
Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com


Winter classes are now up, too, on my web site. Take a look!  I'll be teaching a Portrait Painting/Drawing class this January on Sunday afternoons. Class size is limited and if you want to join us, don't wait. As School Director Julie Casso mentioned today -- that is not a ploy to get you to sign up. The class will fill and I hope you'll be in it.
 


See the Events page for more info/updates
October 19-25:  Plein Air Brandywine Valley, Juried plein air competition, wet paint show and sale in Delaware.
December 3-6: One Of A Kind Show and Sale, Merchandise Mart, Chicago, IL

No comments: