|"Mouse Tale," oil, 24"h x 12"w, ©Jill Banks 2015|
What's in store? You're invited to sketch along (or just sit and enjoy the show) as I capture on canvas an unbelievably cute 9-year-old ballerina.
I've been trying to figure out who our subject would be for weeks now, and with Saturday right around the corner ... phew, serendipity helped out once again.
Yesterday, after still life class -- I went to deliver "New York Yellow and Blues" to the painting's new, happy owner. After approving the spot chosen for the painting, Meg and I were talking about the art "gene" -- and she asked me where I taught classes -- to assist her relatives who could create more than stick figures. The "gene" had escaped Meg but her daughter, Lauren, had it. Since my classes are full ... and the demo this Saturday is free and open to the public, I encouraged Meg to get Lauren to attend. Then, somehow it came up that Meg's 9-year-old granddaughter is a ballet dancer. That's just the kind of inspiration I was looking for ... and by last night, yes, the 9 year old ballerina would LOVE to pose for the demo. Photos of her make me beam. We are in for a special day!
So, join the fun. You'll be able to view the paintings in my solo exhibition "Warm Observations: People and Places" that surround us in the gallery. If you don't want to sketch, but want to watch -- that's great too.
"Mouse Tale" was painted today. Didn't have much to do with the theme of the post but couldn't leave you without a picture.
More Good News: Rittenhouse Square
The 2015 calendar is filling with another acceptance this week. First, being accepted to Telluride Plein Air for a week of painting in a juried competition in beautiful Telluride, CO from June 29 to July 5 ... and then today, the Rittenhouse Square Art Show sent notice that I've been accepted to exhibit in Philadelphia, PA for three days, June 5 to June 7.
Come to the free painting demonstration in the gallery on Saturday, January 31, 2 to 5pm at ArtSpace Herndon, 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA. RSVP for painting demo.
ArtSpace Gallery Hours are:
Tuesday thru Thursday: 10am to 2pm
Friday through Saturday: 10am to 5pm
Sunday: 1pm to 5pm
ArtSpace Herndon is closed due to inclement weather whenever Fairfax County cancels school.
If in doubt, you can contact the gallery at http://www.artspaceherndon.com/ or call:
Events and Exhibits
- January 13-February 22, 2015: "Warm Observations: People and Places" Solo Exhibit, ArtSpace Herndon, Herndon, VA. Painting demonstration: Saturday, January 31, 2 to 5pm. RSVP for painting demo.
- February: The Art of Romance, Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Reception: Friday, February 6, 6:30pm to 9:00pm. Featuring a guest jewelry artist, chocolates, wine, hors d'oeuvres and a beautiful art party. In the gallery and around my studio, still lifes with lots of flowers, an indoor picnic, cozy interiors. See the show through the month of February, Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm.June 5-7: Rittenhouse Square: The Original Art Show, Philadelphia, PA.June 29-July 5: Telluride Plein Air, Telluride, CO. Juried as one of 32 artists who will spend the week painting this very cool town lined with Victorian houses, bustling street against a gorgeous mountainous backdrop.July 11-12: Wickford Art Festival, Wickford, RI.
- Paint with Me in Italy Plein Air Workshop: July 27 to August 2, 2015. Registration is now open. (This is where "Piemonte Lunch" was "born"!)
- See the Events page for more info/updates
- Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat.,
Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel