Saturday, May 31, 2014

Art At the Green, Sunday, June 1, 11am-8pm

Booth Set Up By Husband Randy at the Arts Festival in Great Falls, VA. Come see Sunday, June 1, 11am-8pm
Hope you can come by!

All the painting is through at Mountain Maryland Plein Air ... with one reception tonight to go and then I get to (wo)man the tent on the Village Green for the Great Falls Spring Art Festival, Sunday, June 1, 11am to 8pm in the grassy area surrounded by shops and restaurants at the corner of Georgetown Pike and Walker Road in Great Falls, VA. It's behind the Old Brogue Irish Pub. Speaking of which, enjoy brunch/dinner there before or after visiting the 25 artists displaying on the Green and stay for the Concert on the Green.  Sounds like a day to enjoy...
My paintings "Curtis' Famous Weiners" (on easel, top right) and "Full Steam Ahead" below

Mountain Maryland has been challenging but really great as well. I met some great people, enjoyed the company of artists and their spouses who are now more familiar. It's been like a great reunion and I bet as years go by, it will feel more like one.

Today I painted the front windows of Curtis' Famous Coney Island Weiners, a Cumberland institution since 1918, ranked 4 out of 5 on TripAdvisor. I'm assuming it was Curtis himself who was happy to see me set up in the parking lot across the street and offered me a large Coke with ice. The ice, in particular, was a great treat!  This is a town filled with warm welcomes. Lots and lots and lots of them.

"Burano Boats," oil, 8"h x 10"w, ©Jill Banks 2014 purchased today at the Great Falls Art Fair
I've learned some great painting tips that I can't wait to employ. Now I know, too, that next year schedule needs to include the Plein Air Convention -- an event that's been on the wishlist but not enough for me to make it happen.

Husband Randy has done a super job setting up and taking care of tent duties in Great Falls in my absence. Two paintings have gone to new homes (actually they'll be joining other Jill Banks' paintings on those walls). Another purchase was finalized from the Fairfax Fine Art Festival at the beginning of this month that was out on approval. An exciting week.

I sure hope to see you tomorrow in Great Falls.  Maybe I'll bring in a few new ones from this latest adventure. You might like them.

Luck of the Draw
One more bit of news.  As I've been preparing to embark on applying to arts festivals/fairs around the country (focusing on the Northeast for now), I've purchased books, subscribed to Sunshine Artist -- but the most useful information has come steadily from subscribing (free) to artfairinsiders.com. Managed by Connie Mettler, the site and blog are filled with art show veteran stories, reviews of shows, information on gear, tips on applying to shows, and on and on.

They currently are running a pledge drive and the days were ticking by to the deadline for their podcast. I pledged as a thank you for all the web site provides. It has helped me go from newbie to professional looking, gain acceptances to some great shows I wouldn't have known about without this source.

Well, the day of the podcast as I was resting between painting gigs ... my name was called as the winner of one of the 65 prizes sponsored for the drive. I was number 6. One through five chose their favorite prize in order ... picking what best helped them and I won my top pick ... mesh panels from Flourish that are perfect for hanging work in the new tent. An almost $900 award! Yea!

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Subscribe to my Email Newsletter:
News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)

May 31 & June 1: Great Falls Studios Spring Outdoor Art on the Green Festival  Two days with my work under a tent in the Great Falls Village Centre, corner of Georgetown Pike and Walker Road,  Great Falls, VA. Husband Randy will hold down “the Fort” on Saturday while I finish up at Mountain Maryland and then I hope to see you on Sunday, June 1!
 
March 5 - December: Richeson75 Still Life and Floral 2014  Two of my paintings: "Honey Bunny" and "Garden Girl" were chosen as finalists in this online competition and exhibition. 75 total works were selected for this exhibition from entries/artists worldwide. See the exhibit at http://richeson75.com/stilllife/index.html

Paint with Me in Italy: August 3 to 10, 2014. For more info, itinerary and links to register, see the classes page on my web site. Great folks are signing up to join me on this wonderful adventure. I hope you can, too!  

No comments: