Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"Sitting with Statues" Inside the Loggia, Piazza della Signoria, Florence

"Sitting with Statues" work in progress, oil, 30"h x 40"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
When strolling the Piazza della Signoria in Florence, Italy during my first visit in 2006, I marveled over everyday life spent dining surrounded by the gorgeous, storied sculptures that were almost as numerous as cafe tables. Imagine!

One of my painting spots during visit three, the last day this April in Florence, was the steps inside the loggia, right near the Uffizi. There, I painted a 12"x 16" plein air piece. There's no way the guards were going to let me paint a larger piece as the loggia is considered museum grounds. A larger version of it was planned though ... once home. Like now.

I've been working on it for the last few days ... using my plein air painting as principal reference along with photos and memory. Such a great experience to relive.

See the post from my day there at the Loggia ... live here.

"Punta della Dogana, Venice, Italy," oil, 12"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2014, private collection
New Home for a Venice Painting
Today I spent a little time bringing and trying out paintings in a collector's home. (I'd be glad to bring work to yours ... assuming you're relatively close.) And, a new Venetian plein air painting found its perfect spot ... accompanying the "Place des Vosges" Paris painting purchased earlier this year.

I'd previously misnamed it ... but that didn't stop it from looking stunning in its new home.  A dinner party was taking place there just a short time after Randy hung it in the dining room. Perfect timing!

This is the second painting from the April trip to Italy to find a new home. Yea!

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jillbanks1@aol.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Subscribe to my Email Newsletter:
News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)

 
May 27-May 31: Mountain Maryland Plein Air I join 29 other artists juried from around the country to capture Cumberland MD and surrounding areas in this plein air competition and exhibition. Second time around.

May 31 & June 1: Great Falls Studios Spring Outdoor Art on the Green Festival  Two days with my work under a tent in the Great Falls Village Centre, corner of Georgetown Pike and Walker Road,  Great Falls, VA. Husband Randy will hold down “the Fort” on Saturday while I finish up at Mountain Maryland and then I hope to see you on Sunday, June 1!
 
March 5 - December: Richeson75 Still Life and Floral 2014  Two of my paintings: "Honey Bunny" and "Garden Girl" were chosen as finalists in this online competition and exhibition. 75 total works were selected for this exhibition from entries/artists worldwide. See the exhibit at http://richeson75.com/stilllife/index.html

Paint with Me in Italy: August 3 to 10, 2014. For more info, itinerary and links to register, see the classes page on my web site. Great folks are signing up to join me on this wonderful adventure. I hope you can, too!  

No comments: