Monday, June 2, 2014

An Amazing Weekend on the Green

Although I missed half of the fun (because you can't be two places at once), Great Falls Studios first Spring Art Fair under a tent in the Village Green in Great Falls, VA was a roaring success!  It made me realize just how lucky I am to have lived, shared a studio and made great friends with the artists and patrons/art enthusiasts in this town.

There were 25 artist members of Great Falls Studios situated under two huge tents participating in the show this past weekend, May 31 and June 1.

Saturday, while husband Randy set up and manned the tent in my absence, crowds came from Cars & Coffee, a weekly gathering of very cool automobiles and their owners and the Farmers Market held right nearby.

"Keeping Watch Over You," oil, 16"h x 20"w, private collection
On Sunday, browsers joined us after and before lunch/brunch/dinner at the Old Brogue, made us their sole destination, or visited before and during a great free Sunday Concert on the Green from 6 to 8pm. There were happy faces everywhere, enjoying the music, comraderie, fresh breeze, artwork, gorgeous weather. What a fantastic event!

In the last five days, the following paintings have been finding new homes:
1)  "White Rabbit"
2) "Burano Boats"
3) "Santa Maria della Salute" (nocturne from Venice, Italy)
4) "Two Boats"
5) "Lemon, Melon, Sunflowers"
6) "Ballerina Break"
and moments before I left Cumberland MD (from the Mountain Maryland Plein Air reception), paintings in hand to return home:
7) "Keeping Watch Over You"

"Lemon, Melon, Sunflowers," oil, 16"h x 12"w, ©Jill Banks 2014, sold
More purchases are brewing. A huge thank you to all who visited -- came and said hello to Randy on Saturday and both of us on Sunday.  You are amazing!

While all the purchases have stories of their own, briefly, I want to tell you about "Keeping Watch Over You." It's telling of my whole Mountain Maryland experience.

Many visitors to the exhibition/opening commented about and stood in front of "Keeping Watch." To each, it meant something deeply personal, different with each individual. Sometimes, if you're lucky, a painting speaks. This one does for those who have called Cumberland home.

I was asked by one woman what drew me to this place, tucked behind one of the many churches that dot the mountains there. This place drew me to this place ... like a magnet. I followed a
"Burano Boats," oil, 8"h x 10"w, ©Jill Banks 2014, sold
trail and was enchanted by the spot. The viewpoint.

The Saturday reception was to end at 8pm and we were to take our paintings home at that time. I hung around awhile not wanting to head away too quickly. When I did pick up my three and was about to head out the door ... I heard "Stop! Don't Leave."  A couple claimed it ... having been helped to the decision by a whole lot of their and my friends.

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Subscribe to my Email Newsletter:
News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)


Paint with Me in Italy: August 3 to 10, 2014. For more info, itinerary and links to register, see the classes page on my web site. Great folks are signing up to join me on this wonderful adventure. I hope you can, too!   



No comments: