Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Empty Chair Series

"Strawberries and Tulips," oil, 16"h x 12"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
As of today, there are three recent paintings of empty chairs -- inspired by my teaching schedule. On Sundays, in my portrait class sitters have occupied a chair on the "stage" until break time. On break, the empty chair, trappings and color surrounds turn temptingly into a still life.  On Tuesdays, I teach still life with the scene left over from the portrait class still on the stage.

The "set" looks pretty gorgeous.

An idea for an addition to this was percolating while I painted. So, perhaps it's not done. And, it might undergo a name change.

The photo is lousy.  I'll try again tomorrow. Sorry about that.

The two others in the series include "Missing Mary Beth" and "Warm Studio." "Missing Mary Beth" went  off to its new home today.

Current and Upcoming Art News
  • Reception, March 27, 3:30 to 5:30pm, Hilton
    "Missing Mary Beth" off to new home today
    Headquarters. I'm one of five artists exhibiting ... briefly ... but hope you can attend. Please RSVP via email to me.
  • Women Painters of the Southeast Third Annual Juried Member Exhibition. March 28 to April 18, 2014, Magnolia Gallery in Greensboro, GA. Two receptions. March 28, 6-8pm for preview and people's choice awards. March 29, 6:30-9:00pm for awards and opening reception. "Ballerinas I" on exhibit.
  • Fine Art Professionals of Northern Virginia on exhibit at Delaplaine, 40 South Carroll Street, Frederick, MD from April 5 to April 27, 2014. Reception: April 5, 3-5pm. I have three pieces  in that show: "Main Street USA," "Ice Cold Lemonade" and "Tony"
  • Sign Up for Spring Classes (see my web site's Classes page) -- only 1 spot left in Plein Air, a couple in Still Life! 
  • "Spring Fever" on exhibit through March 31 at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm. On view in the gallery is "Got Your Goat?", "Grazing on Buttercups," "Harbor Side Happy Hour."
  • NEW: My work (and I) will be under a tent in the Fairfax Fine Art Festival, Saturday and Sunday, May 3&4, 2014 in Fairfax Corners, Fairfax, VA. More details to come. I'm excited!
  • Richeson75 Still Life and Floral 2014. Two of my paintings were chosen to be part of the 75 finalists worldwide for this online exhibition. "Garden Girl" and "Honey Bunny" are those two finalists. "A Kitchen Caper" and "Two Kittens" were Meritorious Award winners. See the exhibit here.
Jill


Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Web: www.JillBanks.com
"Warm Studio," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)

Paint with Me in Italy: August 3 to 10, 2014.
For more info, itinerary and links to register, see the classes page on my web site.

See Current  and Upcoming Exhibits/Events
 
 

No comments: