Friday, March 14, 2014

Art Happenings, Spring Classes

"The Revolutionary," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
Tomorrow am (Saturday, March 15 in case you're catching this later), I'm sort of signed up for a bright and early paintout in Annapolis. Hmmm. The wind's howling. Temps in the 40s. Doesn't sound too good. But the long underwear is packed. So maybe.

I'm spending the night in Annapolis MD to attend tomorrow's Mid-Atlantic Plein Air Painters Annual Meeting. A day ahead of interesting talks, meeting other artists, and seeing familiar faces.

I'll go with the flow and enjoy whatever the day brings. (A good idea, always.)

Coming Up
On Thursday, March 27, 3:30 to 5:30pm, meet me at Hilton McLean, 7930 Jones Branch Drive, McLean VA 22102 for a five-artist, two-hour exhibit and reception there in the lobby. It may be just two hours long -- but I'm happy to be chosen for this special, annual event.  Co-exhibitor, artist photographer, Silvia Gonzalez-Roman will be there along with another painter, a jeweler and sculptor. You are welcome to come (I'd love to see you there) but RSVP to me via email that you plan to attend.

Ballerinas on the Go
"Ballerinas I," oil, 16"h x 12"w, Jill Banks 2013 off to Georgia
Off shipped "Ballerinas I," the painting from the postcard for my Serendipity solo show. Its destination: the Magnolia Gallery in Greensboro, GA for the Women Painters of the Southeast (WPSE) annual juried exhibition.

"Ballerinas I" was the inspiration behind naming my last exhibit "Serendipity." Despite wavering in my decision (the norm), fortunately in 2013 I decided to attend the WPSE exhibit in Franklin, Tennessee where one of my paintings was juried into the show. Staying home would have meant missing out on painting two beautiful dancers from the Nashville Ballet Company.

I sometimes wonder why some of my favorite paintings take awhile to be snatched up. That's the case with "Ballerinas I."

I'm reminded of one of my encounters while in residence last year at the Torpedo Factory for the month. An admirer of "Tranquility" said that he hoped no one purchased it. His meaning, when prodded was that if purchased, not as many people would have the chance to enjoy it.

I think that's why museums exist. Hopefully, with some amazing pieces -- someone purchases them to share with others one day. That would be pretty wonderful.

The Women Painters of the Southeast exhibit is being held at the Magnolia Gallery, 1020 Parkside Commons, Greensboro, GA from March 28 to April 18, 2014. Preview and People's Choice Voting is on March 28, 6 to 8pm. The opening show reception and awards presentation is on March 29, 6:30 to 9:00pm.

Classes
My new line-up for classes start this Sunday, March 16 with the first of three sessions of my Portrait Painting in Oils - Extended. The Winter class was too terrific to stop after eight sessions so three more were added. Students are continuing but others are welcome -- but please email me if you are interested/registering and read more about it on the classes page of my web site.

Spring Classes: The Line Up
"Apple Singer," oil, 16"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2014 was this Winter's demo
I'm offering three classes through the Great Falls School of Art. 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Registration is going on now.

Portrait Extended: three sessions, Sundays, March 16, 23, 30: 1:30-5:30pm.  $150. Come join the fun with a smaller commitment, wonderful models, tailored instruction. Model fees are extra. The first two of three subjects are lined up. You are in for a treat!

Plein Air Landscape: six sessions, Wednesdays, 9:30am to 1:30pm. $300 starting April 9. Each day, weather permitting, we explore farms, towns, properties. Paint structures, goats, cows, benches, trees, streams in and around the
"Backyard BBQ," oil, 12"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
Great Falls/Northern Virginia area. Lots of fun -- especially discovering those hidden treasures right in our own backyard. Some of the spots we've painted in previous sessions: Kidwell Farm, Meadowlark Gardens, other farms with great outbuildings, Colvin Mill, Krop's Crops, Great Falls Village Centre. The day before each class (or before), I email you our chosen location -- so you must be registered to know where to show up. Sign up.

Still Life: eight sessions, Tuesdays, 10am-1pm. $300 starting March 25. A wide variety of still life setups to choose from each class. (Pretty exciting stuff.) A great way to hone skills, explore color. First class is a demo. Continuing students can set up to paint or listen/watch the demo.

Both my Plein Air and Still Life classes skip weeks -- so they aren't on a continuous schedule. See my web site's classes page for start, ending and no-class dates.

Start at my web site: www.JillBanks.com --where you'll find links to the school's site to register and more info on the classes, pretty pictures, etc.


 Thanks for checking in!  

More on color coming in the next couple of days. My computer was completely nuts this morning. Technology will need to be behaving first.

Jill


Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Web: www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)

Paint with Me in Italy: August 3 to 10, 2014.
For more info, itinerary and links to register, see the classes page on my web site.

See Current  and Upcoming Exhibits/Events
 


No comments: