Friday, June 29, 2012

"June Peonies" Finished and Under a Russian Influence

"June Peonies," oil on Raymar board, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
I saved a word and changed the title from "Peonies in June" to "June Peonies." Just seems simpler.

This is the last day I presume my peonies will be looking their finest -- so they've been my painting subjects of the day.

A Little Russian Influence
With some time away from my easel, outside influences have had a chance to run a bit more strongly. Currently I'm intrigued by Russian artists of today and the past, loving their brushstrokes, the thick build up of paint and quiet admiration for their subjects. "June Peonies" is, in its way, an ode to a beginning -- to see what exactly is drawing me to the work, to study their art, see what I can learn. "June Peonies" isn't quiet, but quieter (for me) and more expressionistic than many of my pieces. A successful day.

Isaac Levitan (Russian, 1860-1900), "Over Eternal Peace," 1894


Isaac Levitan, Landscape Artist
This past week, I've received daily emails from DickBellBookMaven.com, a dealer specializing in hard-to-come-by art books. The most tempting were four copies of a book about Isaac Levitan, a classical Lithuanian-Russian landscape painter whose work is astonishingly beautiful. The price tag is $290 for the book -- so I passed, but it propelled me to find out more about him and that's a good thing.

Isaac Levitan (Russian, 1860-1900), "The Lake," 1900
Levitan's painting, "The Lake" was his last unfinished painting, and it sure speaks peace to me. He was dying of a terminal disease, and yet this gorgeous, filled with light landscape tells volumes about his frame of mind.

From my research on the painting, it has plenty of variations. Actually, both of them do. A disclaimer, I'm not at all an authority. I appreciated the paintings, this artist and thought you might, too.

Read more about the artist at Feanor's loosely translated version of Grigory Ostrovsky's essay on Isaac Levitan.

Exhibits and Events
May 20-June 30, Wayne Plein Air Exhibition 2012, one of 34 artists juried to participate in a plein air competition and exhibit in and around Wayne, PA (May 15-19). Gala Preview and Artists' Reception, Saturday, May 19, 6-10pm at the Wayne Art Center. Exhibition to follow May 20-June 23 at the Wayne Art Center.  Eight pieces for purchase/on exhibit.

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333

August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: