Friday, June 15, 2012

Art Under a Tent at the Farmers Market

"Sunset in NYC," oil, 24"h x 36"w, ©Jill Banks 2012. This is one of the paintings at the Farmers' Market tomorrow.
"Come Home Collie" Debuts
For the second time this season, my work and I can be found under a tent at the Great Falls Farmers Market ... this Saturday, June 16, 9am-1pm. The Great Falls Farmers Market is located in the parking lot at the Great Falls Village Centre, 750 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. I hope to see you there! It's supposed to be a gorgeous day.

Today I've been doing some art-related "house" work ... figuring out what to pack up and bring to the market, updating my brochure with some new images from last week's photo shoot, printing new wall tags, non-exciting but necessary stuff.

"Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange," oil, 24"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
Some of the pieces you'll see at the market are from my "Out & About" exhibit ... like "Sunset in NYC," "Chickens!" and "Spanish Steps." One or two never been shown before paintings may be there, including the latest Beanie Baby Series painting, "Come Home Collie."

Exhibits and Events
May 20-June 23, Wayne Plein Air Exhibition 2012, one of 34 artists juried to participate in a plein air competition and exhibit in and around Wayne, PA (May 15-19). Gala Preview and Artists' Reception, Saturday, May 19, 6-10pm at the Wayne Art Center. Exhibition to follow May 20-June 23 at the Wayne Art Center.  Eight pieces for purchase/on exhibit.

Saturday, June 16, Great Falls Farmers Market, 9am-1pm, Great Falls Village Centre, 750 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Come see some of my latest work...

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333

August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jill,
I found your blog after reading a FASO comment. You have a great online presence...I like your flow of images and writing. I live in Montgomery Co, MD, not too far away. I'll be doing my first Farmers' Market tent in October here in Olney. Any tips from you would be appreciated!

Jill Banks said...

Hi Cathy,
Tip #1: Put on sunscreen. Light has a way to creep all the way under the tent and you're there for a good while.
Tip #2: Plan your tent display. I always set it up somewhere in my house, arrange the paintings and take a photo of the display to use as my map.
Tip #3: Visitors are clearly local. If you have some work done of local spots, or that relates well to the market (fruits and veggies bought there in a still life, etc.), bring some of that.
Tip #4: This is mainly exposure for your work. People aren't expecting to go home with a painting with their peppers and often you don't have both decision makers in the household there at the same time. Make sure you have info available about upcoming events to invite them to where they can REALLY focus on your art -- or have a guest book for them to sign so you can send a reminder closer to that event.
Tip #5: Advertise that you're going to be there to your collectors.
Tip #6: Sell/make cards with images of your art and make that part of your display. That's an easy purchase.
Best of luck in Olney and thanks for reading my blog. Let me know how it goes.
Also, since you're local -- think about coming to this Friday's (July 20) Art Salon at the Atelier and bringing some art friends -- and Studio Tour in Great Falls, October 20 & 21.
Jill Banks

Unknown said...

Wonderful suggestions. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I am gearing all my paintings to local places in and around Olney just for this day, so there is a theme and scenes will be recognizable. I'm excited! I will also hand out postcards for a show a month later which I'll host in my home. The guest book is a great idea. Thanks Jill!