Sunday, November 6, 2011

Treasure Trove of Drawings and Musings on the Poker Club

Found: Drawings
"Male Portrait," conté by Jill Banks
I mentioned a little while ago that Randy has been going through many of my drawings that are stashed in numerous (understatement) sketchbooks and pads all throughout the house. He'd been working for a long time and called me downstairs to take a look and make some decisions. Sketches were all around the room, along with various frames and precut mats I had on hand. It was like discovering buried treasure. I didn't remember creating all of them (although I know I did). In a way, that helped me see them with fresh eyes and a new appreciation. In particular, I loved the two watercolor nudes and a male portrait in conté.

My job was to separate all that work into groups: 1) ones I'm framing now, 2) ones I might frame later, 3) ones just to keep/not for sale and 4) ones to discard now.

Group #1 of newly discovered gems and more recent works on paper then headed off with me to the framer -- to pair them up with the right color mats and perfect frames and glass.  That is quite a job but it is what turns a sketch in a sketchpad into ... a "hey, look at me!" Here are just some of them.

"Reclining Nude, Back," graphite, Sketch & Wash pencil and wash
Since going to the framer, many more drawings have shown up that are Group #1 worthy.  So more trips to come.

Tomorrow is the last official day of my Fall Portrait class and then Tuesday is the final day of Still Life. We may continue to meet for a few more sessions to fill some students wish to finish "something." I do remember that feeling when I was taking classes. I never had quite enough time during class to complete a painting.

"Sepia Reclining Nude," watercolor & pencil
"Head Scarf and Red Skirt," red, white& black charcoal by Jill Banks
Tomorrow night I start on the Poker Club painting. Randy and I went over to the Social Room in my parents' condo to take a look  (with my mom & dad) so I could (sort of) plan where to set up my easel. I need to tone down expectations for what will be accomplished during my painting time. Tomorrow is an experiment ... just like my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project ... but much more complex with seven people versus one. I haven't decided on the size of my canvas -- but I know it will be fairly large. Larger paintings take more time. I may have a pile of scribbles in three hours. I'll be painting there again the following week. That will be three more hours. That's not a lot of time. Six hours divided by seven people and some sort of background. When Robert (Bob) E. Simon sat to become Face #100, he became my quickest portrait at one hour and fifteen minutes -- the time he had available. If my seven poker players could all grow beards between today and tomorrow plus wear hats and hide their hands, I might paint fast enough.

"Great Falls Village Center Lamppost," ink wash & pen&ink
Since the Poker Club time ends at 10pm, I may get a post up ... but not in time for you to get an email that it's up -- for subscribers. Check for it on Tuesday morning anyway. Keep your fingers crossed and I hope to go with the flow ... and enjoy the show.

Expressions Portrait Competition Reception
ArtSpace Herndon hosted a great reception (as usual) last night for the Expressions Portrait Competition. I wasn't one of the prize winners -- but I do think my painting "Tranquility" looks pretty great in there. Each of the 29 finalists have one piece each in the show and I think every portrait in there is pretty spectacular. Take a look if you have a chance. It would have been a particularly difficult show to judge for awards because the pieces selected as finalists were all consistently well conceived and executed. Kudos to the jurors of selection (the ones that choose paintings as finalist), Tricia Ratliff and Caron Broadway Moody of Broadway Gallery.

Exhibits & Events
Expressions Portrait Exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon, November 1 through 27.  "Tranquility" was chosen as one of the finalists. 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA.

American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National,Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC, Nov. 1-11. "Alan" was juried into the show.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: