Monday, November 14, 2011

"The Poker Club": Day Two

"The Poker Club" work in progress, oil, 30"h x 40"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
Tonight was Day Two -- painting my Dad's Poker Club buddies "live" at their condo. It was quite a night ... and my models are getting a very big kick out of being captured together in paint.

I had worked on this some from photos -- to place my Dad in the scene (his back is toward you), to correct some serious drawing issues from Day One ... and to paint Stanley (the Poker Czar) dealing standing up. I made the last brave task  ... to move Stanley with 45 minutes to go before packing the painting and my gear in the car. It made all the difference in the world.

I'm going to let this rest, and dry in its present stage, and then will tackle the chips and cards ... and  drinks on the table from photos.

That's it for tonight. Time to rest.

Web Site Updates
Animals are definitely on my mind, what with these Beanie Baby paintings and the Richeson Exhibit ... so today I added a new gallery to my web site: Animals, Birds and Wildlife. My own version of a virtual/online farm and zoo. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Exhibits & Events
Expressions Portrait Exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon, November 1 through 27.  "Tranquility" was chosen as one of the finalists. 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA.

Richeson 75 Animals, Birds and Wildlife Online Exhibition, November 7- December 15, 2011. "Pretty Girl Hen" was selected as one of 75 finalists viewable online at www.richeson75.com/wildlife/index.html and in a full-color catalog.

The Art League "Small Works" Exhibit, 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA. "Kiwi" and "Ostrich and Polka Dots" are on view November 9-December 5.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

2 comments:

Debby Bird said...

Jill this is looking really nice. What a great change from the last session. I love to see paintings develop

Jim Kunzler said...

I am enjoying this painting. It will be another one of your greats!