Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Richeson 75 Animal and Wildlife and the Art League's "Small Works" Exhibit

"Pretty Girl Hen" is in International Online Exhibit
I'd mentioned that I was a finalist in the Richeson 75 Animals, Birds and Wildlife Online Exhibition a while ago with my painting "Pretty Girl Hen." That show has just gone live online ... and the works chosen are simply phenomenal. I didn't receive an award but I'm truly honored that one of my pieces was chosen as one of the 75 finalists in this International show. When I received a notice from Terry Stanley of Richeson (a manufacturer and retailer of fine art supplies), he was clearly enthusiastic about the quality of the entries and selected work. Now I see why.

This exhibit is only online -- the first Richeson show that is exclusively on the web. That was one of the draws for me to participate. I didn't need to ship artwork keeping my costs down. I would love to see all of these works in person, though. I bet the juror agrees.

See the show online at: www.richeson75.com/wildlife/index.html. There will be a people's choice award ... so cast your vote on your favorite piece. Instructions are on the Richeson exhibition site. One vote per email address.

Beanie Babies Both Win Honorable Mentions in the Art League's 
"Small Works" November Show
"Kiwi," oil, 6"h x 6"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
Two of my Beanie Baby Paintings, "Kiwi" and "Ostrich and Polka Dots" won Honorable Mentions in the Art League's "Small Works" exhibit. Pretty cool! Art League members were allowed to enter four pieces with the possibility that two would be accepted. (Normally, members can enter two pieces for jurying and only one can be accepted.) It seems that plenty of us had small works to enter. My entry numbers were 901, 902, 903 and 904. That's crazy. There's an awards reception tomorrow (Thursday) night, November 10, 6:30 to 8:00pm.

Randy Sat for My Portrait Class
This was definitely above the call of duty. On Monday morning, for my last day of the term, the scheduled model was sick and couldn't make it to class. I was trying to (quickly) figure out what to do -- I tried calling my mom and emailing whoever I thought would be up and perhaps willing to show up. Even if they had to show up in their jammies. (I think that would be a great portrait, personally.) While I was busy panicking, Randy was up getting ready -- probably thinking long and hard about what he was about to propose. If I wanted him to -- he would sit for the class. I even got to pick out his shirt.

"Ostrich and Polka Dots," oil, 6"h x 6"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
Now, I can't believe he offered and did this. He's been my very reluctant sitter the various times I've wanted to place him into one of my paintings. It's just hard for Randy to sit still.

He was a great model, anyway ... and I think Randy enjoyed spending time with my class. It would be hard not to. I got a kick out of watching my students enter the class -- thinking they had one model (or no model) and seeing that it was Randy up there on the stand. Lots of wide eyes. And, they were pretty excited about having a mustache to paint. Yea, facial hair! With a nice face, to boot.

Web Site Updates
Animals are definitely on my mind, what with these Beanie Baby paintings and the Richeson Exhibit ... so today I added a new gallery to my web site: Animals, Birds and Wildlife. My own version of a virtual/online farm and zoo. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Exhibits & Events
Expressions Portrait Exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon, November 1 through 27.  "Tranquility" was chosen as one of the finalists. 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA.

American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National,Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC, Nov. 1-11. "Alan" was juried into the show.
Richeson 75 Animals, Birds and Wildlife Online Exhibition, November 7- December 15, 2011. "Pretty Girl Hen" was selected as one of 75 finalists viewable online at www.richeson75.com/wildlife/index.html and in a full-color catalog.

The Art League "Small Works" Exhibit, 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA. "Kiwi" and "Ostrich and Polka Dots" are on view November 9-December 5.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: