Friday, November 4, 2011

"Orange Slices" Painting and a Day at the Framer's

"Orange Slices," oil, 6"h x 6"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
My afternoon was spent picking out frames and mats, ordering glass for a good portion of the drawings that Randy's recently rediscovered hanging out all around the house. I'm excited about them all and in a separate post ... sometime soon (maybe) I'll take some photos of the group and post them. (My framer is Framemasters in Fairfax, VA. They're great!)

This evening I painted "Orange Slices" -- a small work in honor of all those calls for little paintings that I'm considering for November shows (the Art League, Randy Higbee Gallery, Great Falls Studios show at the Atelier in December).

The reception for the Expressions Portrait Exhibit is tomorrow night. See below for more info.

And, on Monday night I'm embarking on a new adventure. (I'm determined to keep shaking up my life and art -- in a good way.) I'll be painting Part One of my Poker Club Painting Project ... or at least starting it and getting ideas. The Poker Club Painting Project grew out of my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. I'm into projects.

My Dad and three of his poker buddies (one at a time) came to sit to become some of my Faces. During our sittings, 1) I got to know them better and 2) they opened a window into poker club dynamics and great male friendships. This was one of the many "worlds" that my 100 Faces introduced ... and I decided to try to capture it.  So this will be my Faces project multiplied since I'll be working to capture, from life, seven people. I hope it works.

Exhibits & Events
Expressions Portrait Exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon, November 1 through 27. Reception and awards, November 5, 7pm. "Tranquility" was chosen as one of the finalists. 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA.

The Art League's October All-Media Membership Exhibit,  105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA. My charcoal drawing of "Oscar" was juried in and will be on view through November 7. "Cubanelle and Roses" is in the Bin Gallery.

American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National,Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC, Nov. 1-11. "Alan" was juried into the show.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

1 comment:

Jim Kunzler said...

Jill....I will be anxious to see the poker buddies work of art...lol... another challenge!