Saturday, March 13, 2010

Michelle and My Son Sam: BIG News

The REALLY, really big GREAT news I have to share is that my little kid, son Sam had quite a week and proposed to his girlfriend Michelle last night. It wasn't enough that he went through surgery for a deviated septum (on Michelle's birthday), a stomach virus, and healing this week ... during Spring Break at Virginia Tech. He bought an engagement ring (with a bandaged nose) and proposed. And, Michelle said yes.

We are thrilled. Both Sam and Michelle are lucky people to have each other to spend the rest of their lives with. They are just fun to be around and terrific individuals. Even better together!

I've so enjoyed getting to know Michelle. How lucky I am to be getting her as my daughter-in-law! She's an incredibly caring, supportive person who obviously deeply loves my son. When Sam (nose bandaged, sick to his stomach) asked Michelle if she wanted anything ... she said "yes, for you to get better." To know her is to love her.  I'd say Sam agrees.

To know Sam is to love him. They are just right for each other.

Last summer I painted two portraits of Michelle while she was staying with us for the month. Her parents own "Michelle I" and Sam owns "Michelle II".  Something I found interesting is that her Mom (and Michelle) like their portrait ("Michelle I") the best and Sam likes his portrait ("Michelle II") the best. How'd that happen?

You can read more about those portraits on earlier blog posts:
"Michelle II"
"Michelle I Getting Better"
"Two Alla Prima Portraits: Lots of Michelles"

The only odd thing for me about this news is that I'm now the Mom of someone getting married. That must mean I'm out of my 20s. I've noticed that as I grow older, I find myself on the other side of events ... you remember when the same moments happened to you ... and now you know what your parents felt and experienced during those big moments in your life. Sam talked to Randy and I about his plan last Friday night. On Saturday, while Michelle was taking care of Sam, Randy and I walked around the quad at Virginia Tech ... taking it all in. Excited but still adjusting to this new stage in our life. It just so happened that a wedding was taking place at the chapel there as we walked. I kept thinking of the song "Time Passages".

Congratulations Sam and Michelle!

Left: Michelle's newly adorned left hand.

Top: "Michelle I", oil on linen, 24"h x 18"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Middle: "Michelle II", oil on linen, 20"h x 16"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

halfbakd said...

Congratulations Jill! I'm so happy for you and the family. You must be so proud.

Nancy K said...

Such wonderful news! Michelle is well known to those of us who attended your painting demonstration at the GF Library several months ago. Friendly, open and very, very patient!! My best to the expanding Banks family.