Saturday, March 13, 2010

"Ellen" Alla Prima Portrait: Post #1

Get ready for a full day of posts ... three in all. There's lots to talk about! It's been an interesting 24 hours.

This afternoon, the Great Falls School of Art hosted a free drawing/painting session with Ellen as our model. If you're a regular reader of this blog, you know that painting with a live model is about as much fun as I can stand. Shorten how much time I have to paint and I have that much more of a blast.  I had an hour and a half for this one. Knowing that, I picked a small canvas size (9" x 12") and didn't fuss over anything. Fun, fun, fun.

It's painted alla prima ... or all at once. Wet into wet.

By the way, we had tons of visitors at the Artists' Atelier (the studio I share with 15 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA). We're open the First Friday of every month from 7 to 9pm and every Saturday from noon-4pm. The flood of folks came because fellow studiomate Judith St. Ledger-Roty made the cover of the Great Falls Connection and Jenna Klimchak and Jennifer Duncan were also featured as well. Publicity helps! Judith had her opening of a solo show at Katie's Coffee, part of the Old Brogue Irish Pub... I stopped in at the reception and she'd sold two paintings and had a whole slew of appreciative patrons enjoying the show. It hangs through the month of March ... a good time to be showing scenes from her recent trip to Ireland at this very popular Irish pub.

Many of those visitors were interested in signing up for classes. Go to my website: www.jillbanks.com to find all the listings for classes and to download a registration form ... or read my blog entry about classes here. Sign up now...

The empty easel is where I was painting ... I'd just packed up.

Check back for the other two posts today. You're going to enjoy them!

"Ellen", oil on Senso linen, 9"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: