Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"The Writer" or "Erica II" Wins Honorable Mention at the Art League



I just got off the phone with Erica Fortwengler, the Communications Director and Solo Show Coordinator at the Art League -- and the subject of two, close to identical paintings I created. Erica sat for demos I gave two weekends in January at the Art League Solo Gallery where my "Place Settings" solo show was being exhibited. Anyway, the first painting went to Erica -- but I painted a second, twin painting from the first. The twin painting, "The Writer" was my submission for this month's all-media membership show at the Art League. Whew! It's hard to shorten this story.

So, Erica called me to tell me that WE were in the show. Plus, the painting won an honorable mention. Plus, during Erica's interview with the juror, the juror suddenly looked at Erica and the painting and said "that looks like you!" The juror for this month's show is Fritz Briggs, a teacher at the Schuler School of Fine Arts in Baltimore, MD.

Last month my "Orange Peeled" won Best of Show in the "Small Works" exhibit there. This month's Honorable Mention means I'll be going to the Awards Ceremony and Opening Reception a week from Thursday. See the Art League's web site for more info about this month's exhibit.

"The Writer", 24"h x 20"w, oil on Senso canvas, $2400, copyright Jill Banks 2008.
The Art League, 105 North Union Street, Alexandria, VA. Gallery: (703) 683-1780.

No comments: