Monday, December 1, 2008

Jelly Donut, Anyone?


Today's donut is jelly-filled. This is a continuation of the transparent, glazed theme. I like how the light hits gooey things. Perhaps because of eating more lately (Thanksgiving and its aftermath), including sweets, my attention is turning to fruits, vegetables, and other things. I haven't painted them yet, but there is a granny smith apple in my purse. Hmmmm.

I've been thinking also about what appeals to me and other people about some of my recent, quick paintings. There's a freshness about them, an immediacy (like what you can achieve with drawings that show the artist's hand more intimately) and I think, most importantly at the moment, this artwork is like comfort food for the soul. With all that's uncertain in the world, an appreciation of the simpler things in life comes in handy.

"Jelly Donut," oil on stretched canvas, 5" x 5", copyright Jill Banks 2008.

No comments: