Saturday, October 18, 2014

"Italian Time": Worth the Wait and Studio Tour Day Two

"Italian Time," (take four), oil, 30"h x 30"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
I've written a couple of blog posts about this painting, hoping it would be ready to debut at my next art showing, and then the next.  It had a difficult time living up to an initial sketch created just after my feet landed at the vineyard in Piemonte, Italy that my workshop students would call home base for seven glorious days in August. The thought of the scene, along with its sketch traveled home and I worked diligently to recreate the place in Virginia.  Turns out the sunflowers were my main culprits -- gorgeous they were in the market at Alba, not so much past the tail end of summer stateside.

Finally, this great, deluxe bunch appeared. Different type than the first, second and third ... but perfect in their imperfections, unruliness, spirit and size.

So, it is done, beautifully framed and hanging in my studio for the Great Falls Art Studio Tour. Come for a visit tomorrow ... Sunday, October 19, 10am to 5pm at the Artists' Atelier, Studio #19, upstairs from the Great Falls School of Art (where I teach) at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.

Two of my paintings from those August days in Italy went home with a new owner today.  "Bend in the Road" and "Hill Town Stroll" -- both from the hill town of La Morra, Italy were purchased this morning. I'll bring at least one more piece, "La Morra View" for the walls still full of art.  See my website: www.JillBanks.com, go to Works and click on Places to see those paintings and others from Italy and other spots, near and far.

Plenty of folks are coming each day for my noon to 1pm demo given in the studio.  Today was a continuation of yesterday's painting. Not sure what I'll decide to do tomorrow. There's plenty of time left to figure that out, right? Know that you're invited!

For more information on the Great Falls Art Studio Tour event, go to www.GreatFallsStudios.com.

Events and Exhibits


  • Oct. 17-19: Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA
  • November 1&2: Chastain Park Arts Festival, Atlanta GA
  • Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat., 12- 4pm
  • Jan.-Feb. 2015: Solo Exhibit, ArtSpace Herndon, Herndon, VA
  • See the Events page for more info/updates
Thanks for reading!

Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)




No comments: