Sunday, October 19, 2014

Impromptu Portrait Sitting for Studio Tour Day 3

"Stephanie," oil, 14"h x 11"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
Well, this is my idea of a great day. Despite a slightly hoarse voice, I'm better for wear -- having enjoyed visitors, a quiet morning working a bit on the previous two days' still life and then the fun of meeting a game spirit/willing model for a portrait demo this afternoon. Plus, more art talk. Another painting going to a new home. Visitors excited about signing up for next year's adventure to Italy and Winter classes. I met a whole lot of folks (of all ages) unfamiliar but very enthusiastic about my work and visited with old friends, plus had fun spending the weekend with my studiomates.  What more could you ask for?

So, Stephanie arrives in my studio space around 12:45pm hoping to catch the end of my painting demonstration and fearing she was too late. (I wasn't painting at the time, since unlike on Friday and Saturday, no one else had showed up to watch.) Stephanie was wearing a great outfit, with a black knit headband with flower ... and I asked her if she'd be willing to sit for me to paint her. She couldn't watch the demo and be in it ... but her friend recorded the painting in progress on her iPhone and Randy took some photos as well.  The portrait in progress is shown in pics below ... along with scenes from the day.  Enjoy!

Thank you so much to all of you who visited the studios throughout Great Falls these three days ... and particularly those who made the trek to the Artists' Atelier.

Full Steam Ahead
My painting of the steam engine, captured while it was in the station (for 45 minutes) in Cumberland, MD before taking off on its scenic route to Frostburg was purchased today.  This is one of those paintings that almost was chosen countless times over the last five months. I mean, incredibly close.

I Hope You Sell All But One
I'm often wished luck in my art shows, with a caveat. Guess why? I heard these words a couple
Grisaille sketch: Transparent Earth Red & Ultramarine Blue for darks on yellow ochre ground
of times in the last few days.



Adding color to the lights
Finishing up ... with the paparazzi
Events and Exhibits
  • November 1&2: Chastain Park Arts Festival, Atlanta GA
  • November 3-December 1: Large Works Show, Art League, Alexandria, VA. "Garden Girl" chosen as one of 16 works for this exhibit (out of 80 entries)
  • Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat., 12- 4pm
  • Jan.-Feb. 2015: Solo Exhibit, ArtSpace Herndon, Herndon, VA
  • See the Events page for more info/updates
One of our younger visitors enjoying the Great Falls Art Studio Tour 2014
Thanks for reading!

Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)

No comments: