Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Escape at the Farm

"Autumn at Old MacDonald's," oil, 16"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
No, another rooster did not get out at the farm. But, I was back to Kidwell Farm (part of Frying Pan Park in Herndon VA) for an extremely peaceful afternoon filled with baas, moos, and easy laughter of young visitors.

I had a plan en route ... to paint the back of a building there that was behind me, beckoning, while painting chickens last week. As so often happens, my plans changed while parking my car. Right in front of me was this scene. If I set up right next to my car, I didn't need to stop at 5pm -- when parts of the farm shoos out visitors and the best light is an hour or two away.

Since the day did feel like it was plucked out of a nursery rhyme, I figured "Autumn at Old MacDonald's" is a fitting title. Kids came and went playing on the playground filled with miniature farm tractors to ride. Cows and sheep came and went in the front barn. Nice.

Kudos to My Still Life Class
Malia's still life painting of gourds from today's class
And I'm really sorry that my good camera stayed home. There was plenty of beautiful work up on the easels this morning during the still life class I teach through the Great Falls School of Art (Great Falls, VA).

But, despite my lack of camera ... here is Robin's pic of Malia's still life of gourds.

Way to go!

Framing and Paintings
A frequent comment received at all my art events is how well my work is framed. In almost all instances, fortunately, the people making the comments love the work even more than the moulding surrounding it.

I take all elements of creating and presenting my art into consideration. Always have. Yet, just like with my painting, presentation has improved over the years. I don't know when ... but hopefully soon, I'll write and put up an article about framing tips and advice on my web site ... with a notice posted here.

Still, if you love a painting, see it in a show ... but the frame is not right for your setting ... by all means, ask if you can purchase it unframed OR if the artist has another frame suitable for both the painting and its new surroundings.  In a home showing just last week, Randy and I changed out the frame making the work stronger and much more striking in its new setting. It was perfect!

This coming Sunday, October 5 is McLean's MPA Artfest. See info below.  I hope to see you there!!!

Events and Exhibits


  • Aug. 16-Oct. 12: Paint the Shenandoah Exhibition, River District Arts, Sperryville, VA
  • October 5: McLean MPA Artfest, Sunday, October 5, McLean, VA. 52 artists in McLean Central Park
  • Oct. 17-19: Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA
  • November 1&2: Chastain Park Arts Festival, Atlanta GA
  • Ongoing: Visit the studio I share with 14 other artists at the Artists’ Atelier, Great Falls, VA open Wed. and Sat., 12- 4pm
  • Jan.-Feb. 2015: Solo Exhibit, ArtSpace Herndon, Herndon, VA
  • See the Events page for more info/updates
Thanks for reading!

Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email:
jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com

Subscribe to my Email Newsletter: News from the Easel (This link takes you to the subscription page.)


No comments: