Friday, January 3, 2014

Had to Paint

"Winter Wonderland," oil, 10"h x 8"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
The last three days have been spent preparing for my "Mastering the Business of Art" workshop I'll be conducting tomorrow and the next day (Saturday and Sunday, January 4&5 at the Great Falls School of Art).

Preparing for the class means writing, reading, researching, editing, learning, thinking about this challenging business. I've listened to online tutorials, read studies -- explored my own and other artists' experiences.

Because an artist needs to create the work and run a real and challenging business, there's an awful lot to learn and do -- at all times. Imagine summing that up, organizing the material that's really a lot like a dog chasing its own tail and presenting it so that participants move forward from here, thinking creatively and enthusiastically building their own successful art business.

Teaching this course, preparing for it, has taught me a ton.  I'm excited about what's in store for 2014 and the years ahead.

But all this sitting ... and ignoring the beautiful scenery and scenes in my head ... was making me VERY antsy to paint.

Right before the sun went down in front of me, I set my easel up and captured the snow out the dining room window. Yea! Yes, fun.

Great news today -- from my Dad on niece Annie's recovery.  It was a very good day today: full of smiles, laughter, regular meals, conversation.  Annie's still in the hospital and yesterday was a tough one.  That makes today super special! Prayers are working ... and still needed.  Thank you.

Annie Update January 6: Hooray! She's doing great and home from the hospital (on Saturday).  A huge gift for all!

Start the New Year Off Artfully


Sign Up for Classes and Workshops that Start January
Mastering the Business of Art -- two-day workshop January 4 & 5 (Coming up this Weekend!!!). Email me if you are registering.
Still Life in Oils -- Tuesdays, 10am-1pm (Full with wait list)
Portrait Painting -- Sundays, 1:30pm-5:30pm -- please join us.
All taught through the Great Falls School of Art (1144 Walker Road, Suite D, Great Falls, VA).  See the Classes page on my Web site: www.JillBanks.com. Don't wait! (Please. I don't want you to miss out.)


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com


Events
January 10-28: Great Falls School of Art Student Exhibition, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. Reception/Awards: Friday, January 10, 7-9pm. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm.


February: Flowers and Chocolates, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. One of our best exhibits of the year. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm. Receptions, events to be announced

February: Jill Banks Solo Exhibit at Katie's Coffee in the Old Brogue, Great Falls, VA

More to come.

No comments: