Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Life in the Miscellaneous Column

"Raggedy Ann" in progress, oil, 30"h x 30"w, ©Jill Banks 2014
A brain divided.

Today was spent receiving and hanging the show for the Great Falls School of Arts Annual Student Exhibition. A lack of sustenance led to a very slow decision-making process -- but the exhibit is up ... looking great ... and hoping you'll come see it this Friday, January 10, 7-9pm for the awards reception. The work is wonderful and cause for a celebration. See it at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA on Friday night or during open hours Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm throughout the month.

I'm trying to get ready for next month's show at Katie's. High gear better kick in soon.

My portrait class starts this coming Sunday. I'd love to have a couple more of you join the class. There's something extraordinary about capturing people. Come share the experience. Go to my web site, Classes page. It's not too late, but email me if you are registering for the class.

February 1, prices on all my pieces are heading up. Take a look at the website and if one of those works is on your list ... consider purchasing it at pre-February 1 prices. More specifics coming up here and on my site.

I'm loving painting "Raggedy Ann." She looks a bit raggedy at the moment -- in progress -- but she won't in the end. My quiz question: do you know what book's pages are shown in the lower left? I know it's not too far along ... but would appreciate any guesses.  Often when I'm painting plein air with my eyes and easel headed smack dab in the direction of my subject people will stop by and discuss what I might be painting. Those instances seem obvious. This time my book is turned upside down and tilted. If you get it ... you're a genius! At least!

During receiving, a student came by to drop off work.  She almost wasn't going to do it ... except I was sitting on her shoulder ... pushing her out of her comfort zone to do something different, a little harder perhaps.  That's at least one of my jobs.  Stretching is so good for the soul.

I'm pondering directions this year for my art.   A lot of possibilities exist now that didn't for artists a decade ... or decades ago.  I'll tell you what I come up with ... but your ideas are welcome as always. Galleries? Outdoor Art Shows? Social media? Something else?

Start the New Year Off Artfully


Sign Up for Classes and Workshops that Start January
Still Life in Oils -- Tuesdays, 10am-1pm (Full with wait list)
Portrait Painting -- Sundays, 1:30pm-5:30pm -- please join us.
All taught through the Great Falls School of Art (1144 Walker Road, Suite D, Great Falls, VA).  See the Classes page on my Web site: www.JillBanks.com. Don't wait! (Please. I don't want you to miss out.)


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com

Events
January 10-28: Great Falls School of Art Student Exhibition, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. Reception/Awards: Friday, January 10, 7-9pm. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm.

February: Flowers and Chocolates, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. One of our best exhibits of the year. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm. Receptions, events to be announced

February: Jill Banks Solo Exhibit at Katie's Coffee in the Old Brogue, Great Falls, VA

More to come.




No comments: