Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Capturing Ray

Portrait Class: Capturing Ray Rollins
While my own recent painting endeavors are not yet ready to be shown prime time (as in here), there still is news to report.

On Sunday, my portrait class students took their first turn at the easel this term, working to capture Ray Rollins during the four-hour session less breaks.  That's not a whole lot of time ... unless you are Ray ... who I decided should pose for the class with his head tilted. A tilt that became more dramatic
over time. We figured he'd have some explaining to do at the chiropractor or fitness instructor.

Honestly, classes couldn't be more fun ... despite the cricks in the neck.  Although I may work in a multiple session or two through the term, these single sittings do help the class.  During my portrait painting workshop, each day brought one model in the morning and one in the afternoon. That pace was challenging -- but it also meant students weren't "stuck" with a painting that wasn't going well through the entire day. Each session brought a fresh start.

Ray was one of my 100 Faces in 100 Days volunteers and after sitting for me had said that if he had another face, he'd volunteer all over again. I knew he'd be a perfect model ... experienced, fun and good-natured.

Yesterday's Still Life Class turned  Snow Day
As I polled the class about cancelling class as 5-7 inches were heading our way, many were relieved. One (nameless) student answered: "No, no, no, no ... darn!" Then the subject line for her email to me after sending out the official cancellation was "You Stinker." Meant in a good way, of course.  Classes are highlights of the week for me, too!

Lots of Good Things In the Works
February 1, I hang a new solo show at Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue in Great Falls, VA that will be up for the month in this favorite neighborhood hangout. I'm hoping the exhibition fairy sprinkles some get-it-together dust my way. I need it.

ArtSpace Herndon (Herndon, VA) awarded me a solo show there for January/February 2015. That's a huge, beautiful display space and my first time exhibiting there ... all by my lonesome.

"Garden Girl," oil, 42"h x 36"w chosen as finalist Richeson75 Still Life and Florals
Two of my pieces were chosen out of 75 finalists for the Richeson75 Still Life and Floral Online Exhibition.  I'll let you know more when that exhibition goes live on March 7. The jurors selected "Garden Girl" and "Honey Bunny." Good going! See more of my still life work in the Works section of my web site: www.jillbanks.com.

There is a lot more ... just time to post and let you know I am alive!

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

 



Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA
"Honey Bunny," oil, 24"h x 18"w chosen as finalist Richeson75 Still Life and Florals
website: GreatFallsAtelier.com


Events
January 10-28: Great Falls School of Art Student Exhibition, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm.

February: Flowers and Chocolates, Gallery in the Artists Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066. One of our best exhibits of the year. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon-4pm. Receptions, events to be announced

February: Jill Banks Solo Exhibit at Katie's Coffee in the Old Brogue, Great Falls, VA

More to come.









No comments: