Tuesday, December 31, 2013

To a Happy and Healthy 2014!

"Full Bar" painting of the Old Brogue start, oil, 18"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
I might have even switched the adjectives.

"The Brogue Bar," oil, 18"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2012. Private Collection
Painting is heavily tied into my emotional state ... and I haven't been doing much of it (painting -- except pottery) since before Christmas.

My niece has been extremely sick  and in the hospital since before Christmas and it changed the way we all experienced the holiday.  It was quiet, subdued, scary ... and we have been praying for some answers and a corner turned. The prayers continue but news is that this was a much, much better day today. The doctors came back with a diagnosis after six days of a very tough battle. Annie tested positive for Swine flu -- and now has a road to recovery. As my brother says -- she isn't out of the woods yet -- but it's the first bit of good news for awhile.

This afternoon I picked back up my paintbrush and here's that painting's start.  It's just French Ultramarine Blue and Transparent Earth Red on a yellow ochre ground.  The scene for "Full Bar" is the Old Brogue -- a frequent subject I've painted quite a few times from photos and on site.  I'd like to set up my easel there to work on it, but this view would be in the way of lots of folks -- all the patrons who keep it hopping. So, that wish will require some finetuning to accomplish.

This will be one of many I hope to paint over the next couple of weeks for an upcoming February solo show there in Katie's Coffee (Great Falls, VA).  My plan is to do a series of starts and then go back to finishing the group on a second and third pass.  Let's see if I stick to that plan.

My wish for you ... and Annie ... is that 2014 is Healthy, Happy, Wonderful!

Start the New Year Off Artfully
Sign Up for Classes and Workshops that Start January
Mastering the Business of Art -- two-day workshop January 4 & 5 (Coming up this Weekend!!!). Email me if you are registering.
Still Life in Oils -- Tuesdays, 10am-1pm (Full with wait list)
Portrait Painting -- Sundays, 1:30pm-5:30pm -- please join us.
All taught through the Great Falls School of Art (1144 Walker Road, Suite D, Great Falls, VA).  See the Classes page on my Web site: www.JillBanks.com. Don't wait! (Please. I don't want you to miss out.)

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com 

Events
See the events page on my website.  Thanks!


Richeson75 Birds,
Animals and Wildlife Online Exhibition "La Chien de Grange," my painting of the (magestic) Giverny barn dog was chosen as one of 75 outstanding artworks for the Richeson Birds, Animals and Wildlife exhibition now viewable online at: http://www.richeson75.com/wildlife/index.html






No comments: