Monday, December 2, 2013

"Backyard BBQ" Post-Season and the Pull of Art

"Backyard BBQ," oil, 12"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2013
"Backyard BBQ" received some finishing touches a couple days ago. It was a plein air piece done as a demo for my Plein Air Landscape class this past Fall. I let the detail and ideas established then lead the way for finishing up. I love the proud BBQ grill.

"Daffodils" under new ownership today.
This afternoon I was visited by one of my more recent collectors -- a couple who purchased two pieces from my "Serendipity" exhibit.  Of the two they'd collected before -- one was a gift and one was for their own home. She'd told me when (husband) Randy and I delivered those first packages that this was just the beginning of her collecting my work. She showed us that her interest was in collecting artists -- not individual pieces. That was evident in all the multiple pieces that hung from each artist on her walls.

Today, another was added. "Daffodils" was chosen -- a plein air piece created right outside our house, capturing the flowers my Dad planted as bulbs the Fall before. This is one for her.

Another purchase is planned for a future day. Many of my pieces are major investments -- as they were for me -- in my time, materials, energy, thought, training. She will buy it if it is available when she is ready. So I know it's being purchased. Just not when or by whom.

What I am happiest about is witnessing the connection that people have with my work.  That's an amazing feeling -- having someone want to see and enjoy what you've created every day. To invite it into their lives. To work to own it.

One other thing. She saw happiness, joy in my work. That seems perfectly fitting.


Sign Up for Classes and Workshops that Start January

Mastering the Business of Art -- two-day workshop January 4 & 5
Still Life in Oils -- Tuesdays, 10am-1pm
Portrait Painting -- Sundays, 1:30pm-5:30pm
All taught through the Great Falls School of Art (1144 Walker Road, Suite D, Great Falls, VA).  See the Classes page on my Web site: www.JillBanks.com. Don't wait! (Please. I don't want you to miss out.)

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com 

Events
See the events page on my website.  Thanks!



"Garden Girl," oil, 42"h x 36"w, ©Jill Banks 2012


See me at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 14 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm and whenever an artist is in. Squares is up until the end of December -- with work in a variety of mediums from members of Great Falls Studios. We had a great turn-out. Come see!


Saturday and Sunday, December 14 & 15, 10am - 5pm both days. 35 artists exhibiting at a new location: Wolftrap's Education Hall, 1645 Trap Road, Vienna, VA 22182.  I'll be there! No refreshments this time ... but plenty of art and good cheer!  Please help spread the word!


No comments: