Friday, December 13, 2013

Dining BenGusto Style and the Holiday Show

16-year-old Chef Entrepreneur Ben Gaiarin in the Kitchen
The Art of Food
So even if you're strangely not into food, you'll still want to hear about a wonderful dinner party I had the pleasure to attend ... and its chef, 16-year-old food entrepreneur Ben Gaiarin.

Ben announced that he was FINALLY ready to launch BenGusto dining on his blog (which I follow) on November 11.  The idea -- he would cook up an amazing organic four-course meal rooted in his Italian food experiences -- and you can enjoy being the guest at your own dinner party. The wait staff would consist of 18-year-olds and under, trained waiters and waitresses.

My Mom and Dad were first on the bandwagon, meeting with Ben to select the menu, survey the kitchen and dinnerware and get set for a party of eight on December 7.

BenGusto Dining -- Apple and Pear Crisp
First of all, it's amazing that someone so young can balance blog-writing, building a business, cooking, football/soccer, schoolwork, and being an interesting/fun person to be around. Everything I've seen him do -- he does SO well.

After enjoying his first catered dinner -- as a professional -- all I can say is WOW.

I don't have the menu in front of me -- but each of us had Ben sign them before we let him leave. (We can now prove we knew him when...)

The first course was tempura fried sage leaves. Yum! I've never eaten anything like them and was pretty sure that a huge plate full of those as a meal would have left us all very happy.

Second was a homemade pasta. Sometime around then, young server Sam arrived with delicious homemade bread.

Third course was lamb loin and broccolini. So good. (I would also be happy eating that broccolini the rest of my life.)

Fourth course was Ben's Autumn Pear and Apple Crisp with homemade vanilla gelato. I am not a dessert person. This was incredible and I ate every crumb.

As great as the food was, that Ben was the one preparing it -- made it a really special evening. He introducedeach  course -- told us how it was prepared -- or how he worked to master gelato. We had a question and answer session with Ben and Sam after the meal.  It was fun and good-hearted ... and good business.

It was all made from scratch, delicious, fresh and simply perfect.

Thumbs way up! Way to go, Ben!

Great Falls Studios Holiday Show and Sale, Saturday and Sunday, December 14 & 15, 10am -5pm
Wolftrap Educational Center, 1645 Trap Road, Vienna, VA

This is worth coming to see. I got lost going there to set-up today (Friday), but go to www.GreatFallsStudios.com click on Holiday for a map and more info.
Don't miss it!
My "Booth" at the Holiday Show.


Sign Up for Classes and Workshops that Start January
Mastering the Business of Art -- two-day workshop January 4 & 5
Still Life in Oils -- Tuesdays, 10am-1pm
Portrait Painting -- Sundays, 1:30pm-5:30pm
All taught through the Great Falls School of Art (1144 Walker Road, Suite D, Great Falls, VA).  See the Classes page on my Web site: www.JillBanks.com. Don't wait! (Please. I don't want you to miss out.)



Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Artists Atelier, Great Falls VA website: GreatFallsAtelier.com 

Events
See the events page on my website.  Thanks!



Great Falls Studios Holiday Art Show and Sale Saturday and Sunday, December 14 & 15, 10am - 5pm both days. 35 artists exhibiting at a new location: Wolftrap's Education Hall, 1645 Trap Road, Vienna, VA 22182.  I'll be there! No refreshments this time ... but plenty of art and good cheer!  Please help spread the word!
See me at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 14 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, noon to 4pm and whenever an artist is in. Squares is up until the end of December -- with work in a variety of mediums from members of Great Falls Studios. We had a great turn-out. Come see!





No comments: