Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Own Model

"Me," oil, 14"h x 11"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
Today I worked on another self-portrait. This time on a smaller canvas. I'd worked on it a little yesterday and this morning I was rushing to finish it ... to take it to a photo shoot that is actually this Thursday. I was pushing myself to paint quickly. Randy packed up his new car with paintings for the shoot. We raced over to the library and ... the room was empty. Okay, now it's time to check my email for the correct date. Oh well.

When I got home, I managed to find another four hours of painting to do on it. So, I guess all really was well.

Because the paint is sopping wet on this one, the photo shows lots of glare. That's one of the reasons I'm going to the photo shoot ... on Thursday.

One benefit of painting a self-portrait is the model is happy to stay as long as you're willing to paint.

Tomorrow It's Back to the Brogue to Paint
Tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday, May 30, 3:30-6:30), I'll be going back to the Old Brogue to paint in the bar area. I wanted to give last week's start a chance to dry, and tomorrow I'll be concentrating on contrast and light, and maybe painting a couple more people into the scene. Perhaps.

Where I sat up, it's tough to find a spot to watch the progress. Sorry about that ... but I did want to paint the bar and also needed to be as far back as possible. That determined where my easel would go.

"Out and About" Exhibit Ends on Friday
Take down is at 2pm on Friday, June 1. If you haven't seen the show yet, there are just a couple days left to catch it in Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, 760C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA.

Exhibits and Events
May 1-31, "Out and About" Solo Show, Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, 760-C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Painting on site: Wednesday, May 30, 3:30-6:30.  Thanks! Preview the exhibit here.
 
May 20-June 23, Wayne Plein Air Exhibition 2012, one of 34 artists juried to participate in a plein air competition and exhibit in and around Wayne, PA (May 15-19). Gala Preview and Artists' Reception, Saturday, May 19, 6-10pm at the Wayne Art Center. Exhibition to follow May 20-June 23 at the Wayne Art Center.  Eight pieces for purchase/on exhibit.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: