Monday, May 7, 2012

"Sunflowers In The Studio, Too" Work in Progress and More...

"Sunflowers In My Studio, Too" work in progress, oil, 30"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
Sunflowers have found their way into my studio many, many times. There is a "Sunflowers in the Studio" ... one of my paintings that I visited just last week in its new-ish home. That painting was the result of my Dad calling me up ... and telling me he had the most beautiful vase of sunflowers ... would I like him to bring them over? My answer was yes.

"Sunflowers In The Studio, Too" is of the flower arrangement Dad made for Sunday's reception for my "Out & About" exhibit. The title includes "Too" instead of "Two" because right behind this painting is a portrait commission that I'm working on now. You'll get a glimpse of the right side of it in it's early stage. On the floor behind it, leaning against the wall is one of the panels of my "100 Faces in 100 Days" project. The red table is a metal cart that my great aunt owned ... that now acts as the well-used taboret in my studio. The sunflowers have plenty of company.

"Sunflowers In My Studio," oil, 24"h x 18"w, private collection
I just started painting the final portrait after lots of preparatory work. What a relief it is to start. Until I put paint to canvas, portrait commission work is daunting. The preparations are incredibly important (sketching, color studies, conceptualizing, composing, determining the size, getting the canvas stretched, selecting source materials, and organizing) ... but also time-consuming ... and I get antsy to paint. It was a joy to have a chance to dig in ... with the initial sketch and then starting to develop one of the four subjects (three humans, one canine) in the painting. Yea!

The photo is poor (of "Sunflowers...") ... lots of reasons for that ... but maybe the photos will improve as the painting progresses.

Painting In the Old Brogue
Wednesday, May 9, 1-4pm
Wednesday, May 23, 1-4pm
Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue Irish Pub
760-C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22066
You're welcome to look on or check in. I'm not sure exactly where my easel will be ... or what I'll be painting.  Two days to figure out some of that. I hope to see you there!
Come see, and you'll be able to take a look at my "Out & About" exhibit, too. Lots of too's today.
See the exhibit online on my web site. "Out & About" continues through May 31.

Exhibits and Events

May 1-31, "Out and About" Solo Show, Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, 760-C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Painting on site: Wednesday, May 9, 1-4pm and Wednesday, May 23, 1-4pm.  Check back here before coming in case times change or dates/times are added. Thanks! Preview the exhibit here.
 
May 15-19, Wayne Plein Air Festival 2012, one of 34 artists juried to participate in a plein air competition and exhibit in and around Wayne, PA. Gala Preview and Artists' Reception, Saturday, May 19, 6-10pm at the Wayne Art Center. Exhibition to follow May 20-June 23 at the Wayne Art Center. 

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: