Friday, May 25, 2012

Art and Produce ... And More

My "Practice" Booth Set Up for the Farmers Market
Tomorrow morning (Saturday, May 26, 9am-1pm) will find me hanging paintings under a tent at the Great Falls Farmers Market (Great Falls, VA) ... and marveling over produce in the next tents. I've set up quite a few times at the market and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I like bringing art to where people are versus waiting for someone to suddenly decide to go looking for art... and art only. Granted, though, more purchases are made with the produce/pastry/food vendors at the Farmers Market than at my booth. But my paintings of fruits and veggies have a very long shelf life. No refrigeration necessary.

The Great Falls Farmers Market is located in the parking lot at the Great Falls Village Centre, 750 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA.

"Grazing On Buttercups," oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
And, the good thing is the Farmers Market is right around the corner from Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue where my "Out & About" Exhibit is up for just one more week. That means you can see 29 of my paintings within walking distance.

Signing and Touch-Ups
As I'm selecting paintings for the Farmers Market booth, I picked out two ("Grazing on Buttercups" and "Down By the River") that haven't been signed yet. While Randy was upstairs varnishing some others, I took the two paintings to my downstairs studio to sign. After a good while, I hear Randy's footsteps coming downstairs. There he finds me, in my studio, with the two paintings on the ground ... getting quite a bit more attention than just a signature. "You're painting on them, aren't you?" he asks ... or accuses. Somehow my husband doesn't think that right before packing up for a show is when I should decide to do some extensive ... slow-drying, wet paint touch-ups. They look so much better, though. I could decide to bring two other paintings instead ... but I want to show them. So here's the warning ... some wet paint ahead.

"Down By the River," oil, 16"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
Indian Yellow
One of the things that has been bugging me about plein air painting is that it is so difficult to achieve brilliant contrast. When I paint in the studio, it takes multiple sessions and layers to capture the effect of light. But, I came across a clue yesterday ... and that's part of what made me paint on those almost ready to go paintings. I'd removed some colors from my palette when putting together the color charts and supply lists for my classes. One of the colors I got rid of was Indian Yellow, because it's so intensely bright it can cause trouble. I realized that super intense colors are needed to come anywhere close to capturing light outside. There are experiments to come ... but I think I'm on to something.

Exhibits and Events
May 1-31, "Out and About" Solo Show, Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, 760-C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Painting on site: to be announced (the Brogue's closed Monday, May 28).  Check back here before coming in case times change or dates/times are added. Thanks! Preview the exhibit here.
 
May 20-June 23, Wayne Plein Air Exhibition 2012, one of 34 artists juried to participate in a plein air competition and exhibit in and around Wayne, PA (May 15-19). Gala Preview and Artists' Reception, Saturday, May 19, 6-10pm at the Wayne Art Center. Exhibition to follow May 20-June 23 at the Wayne Art Center.  Eight pieces for purchase/on exhibit.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: