Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Day at the Bar, the Old Brogue

"The Bar at the Old Brogue" work in progress, oil on linen, 18"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
After having painted outside the Brogue, in Katie's Coffee, in the Snuggery ... old days, I finally made it to the side of this (extremely) popular Great Falls, VA restaurant that houses the bar. I've always wanted to paint there ... and today was the day.

I spent the entire afternoon, early evening hours glued to my spot. Figuratively, not literally. It was an intense, but REALLY fun day of painting. Not all of the patrons painted in were present at the same time. My painting developed like one of those slow motion videos ... as people came to sit, I added them in.

I was stationed toward the front door ... not the perfect placement if you came to watch me ... but great for people to glance at as they came in. I did feel a bit like I should act as hostess. That was probably a funny scene to happen upon.

What helped make the day special ... besides the challenge and excitement of painting something I've wanted to do for a long time ... were all the great conversations enjoyed with paintbrush in my hand. There is something magical about the ability to create something out of nothing. I love watching it happen -- and lots of others enjoyed it today, too.

One of the treats was meeting a woman who said that her 14-year-old grandson was a talented oil painter. Turns out her grandson is my amazingly talented student, Cormac. Pretty cool!

I'll return to finetune the painting some afternoon next week. This was a ton to accomplish today but it will be good to look at it again with fresh eyes. Hopefully, many of my subjects will return another day.

"Cars and Coffee," oil, 16"h x 20"w
Farmer's Market This Saturday
I'll be displaying my work this coming Saturday, May 26, 9am-1pm at the Great Falls Farmer's Market. So look for me under a tent.

"Cars and Coffee" and "The Olive Seller"
Two of my paintings, "Cars and Coffee" and "The Olive Seller" on view now at the Old Brogue will be going to a new home right after my "Out & About" Exhibit comes down on June 1. I can't believe the month's almost over. There are a few paintings in my "Out & About" exhibit that I know many people would like to take home with them. Someone's going to do it. I hope it's you.

"The Olive Seller," oil, 18"h x 24"w
Exhibits and Events
May 1-31, "Out and About" Solo Show, Katie's Coffee at the Old Brogue, 760-C Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Painting on site: to be announced (the Brogue's closed Monday, May 28).  Check back here before coming in case times change or dates/times are added. Thanks! Preview the exhibit here.
 
May 20-June 23, Wayne Plein Air Exhibition 2012, one of 34 artists juried to participate in a plein air competition and exhibit in and around Wayne, PA (May 15-19). Gala Preview and Artists' Reception, Saturday, May 19, 6-10pm at the Wayne Art Center. Exhibition to follow May 20-June 23 at the Wayne Art Center.  Eight pieces for purchase/on exhibit.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: