Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Nautilus" Painting Day Two and Keeping Inspired


Today, I returned to this painting I'd started in October. This was intended as a warm-up for some work I'm doing to finish up a portrait commission. The warm-up took awhile ... but it's a lazy, rainy, chilly Fall day ... that I've managed to spend enjoyably in my home studio.

My support for this painting is a linen-lined, oil-primed Raymar panel. It never works for me in one alla prima session as the paint just doesn't adhere properly at the beginning. It was easy, however, to work on it once that initial paint layer dried.  Much better!

I have plans ... within the next few weeks ... to start a number of new paintings at once. As my own "employer", I'm constantly re-charging and driving myself in new directions to keep developing as an artist. A key to keeping me happy (and productive) is variety, planning, and flexibility. Since I've been finishing a lot lately, I need the excitement, and change of pace, of starting new pieces. So, that's what I'll do ... armed with the inspiration of last weekend's trip to NYC. I'm even working in some additional inspiration next week ... with a trip into DC to see the Sargent and the Sea show at the Corcoran (on exhibit through January 3, 2010) and French Drawings at the National Gallery (through January 31, 2010). Can't wait!!!

"Nautilus" work in progress, 10"h x 8"w, oil on Raymar panel, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

No comments: