Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 5: Wet Paint and Model Day at the Atelier


This painting may need a new name. Currently named "Tranquility," this is a work in progress on day five of the five scheduled model sessions at the Artists' Atelier (the studio I share with 15 other artists in Great Falls, VA). If it gets a new name, it may be "My Favorite Place" -- mentally, physically, spiritually. I simply love to paint. Let me paint from a live model ... in a situation where I have some control (i.e. pose, place, mood, apparel) ... and I just couldn't be happier. I spent three hours working on painting Liz while she was available, and the rest of the afternoon painting my surroundings in the studio, all by myself.

Randy and I went up to NYC this past weekend for the reception of the American Artists Professional League's Grand National where my "Sunflowers II" is on exhibit at the Salmagundi Club.  We stayed in Soho and had a terrific time walking around the city, taking in the lights and rhythms of the place. That exhibit continues until November 13.

We shipped "Arance, Oranges" to NYC last week for Allied Artists of America's Annual Exhibition which opens November 13 at the National Arts Club. We'll head back up there for a reception the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I can't wait. While traveling back and forth is a bit of a pain, I love just being in New York. And, I'm particularly excited to be one of the exhibitors in the Allied Artists show. This is my first time getting in to this competitive juried exhibit. (Yea!)

I also plan to go to Maison du Vin this Saturday ... where I have a solo show hanging. Every Saturday they have a special event and this one is a free wine tasting with Thanksgiving suggestions. Maybe someone will want to take home one of my paintings with a case of wine that day. You never know. Find out more about my exhibit there on my web site.

"Tranquility" day 5 work in progress, oil on linen, 30"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: