Friday, November 27, 2009

My Latest Lemon Painting


 Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Yesterday, the Thanksgiving feast was at our house but cooking the turkey and sweet potatoes  and anticipating guests didn't stop me from continuing work on the latest of paintings of lemons. My Dad stopped by earlier in the day to drop off flower arrangements and I think he was surprised to find the kitchen still a mess ... with an easel blocking the walkway ... and me happily painting away. Dinner was ready on time and the "hostess" (me) was much cheerier since the day wasn't all about cooking.

I did think about writing the blog yesterday with a photo of my kitchen setup and a title of "What's Cooking in My Kitchen" -- but I didn't really have time to spare.

This is a work in progress. It will be a challenge to tackle the granite countertops. Hmmm.

I'd like to do a series of interiors inside my house (first) and then other interesting places where I can setup and paint onsite. This still life was going to be my first interior but the flowers and lemons just didn't seem comfortable playing second fiddle to a room.

I've created plenty of paintings of lemons and sunflowers. (See my web site gallery pages: still life section for more examples.) Not sure they've ever appeared together before. Now the sunflower season has truly ended.

Registration for my January workshop (Mastering the Business of Art) and classes (Portrait and Figure Painting in Oils, Still Life Painting in Oils) at the Great Falls School of Art is going on now. See my earlier blog post about classes or go to my web site www.jillbanks.com and click on classes for more information.

Be sure to see my solo exhibit at Maison du Vin in Great Falls, VA and Market Cellars in Reston, VA. The Maison du Vin show comes down December 14.

"Lemons, Sunflowers and the Blue Teakettle" work in progress, 30"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: