Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Michelle I" Finished and Day 4 for "Tranquility"


It was a good painting day today. This morning was day 4 for a live modeling session for the Artists' Atelier painters. (I share studio space with 15 other artists at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA 22066.) I made a lot of progress on "Tranquility", working during the first few sittings on the model's face, then her leg and shoe and more on her outfit. I also started sketching in the background ... a scene from the studio.

Then, I finished up working on "Michelle I" -- a painting I started in preparation for the public demo I gave as part of my "On the Bright Side" solo show this summer. "Michelle I" is a portrait of Michelle Anonick, my son Sam's girlfriend. It's a fitting portrait -- I can see "her" in the painting -- and that's a good thing.  She's a natural beauty, inside and out.

This coming Friday, November 6, is First Friday at the Artists' Atelier (1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA 22066), 7-9pm. Art donated for the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts Gala (November 20, 7:30-10pm, see the GFFFTA web site for more info) will be hanging in the gallery  and on our moveable walls. Come take a look and pick your favorites for silent auction on the 20th.


Then on Saturday, I'm off to NYC for a reception of the American Artists' Professional League's Grand National 2009 being held on Sunday at the Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue in NYC, 2-5pm. My painting "Sunflowers II" was juried into that show that is on exhibit at this esteemed arts club from November 3 to November 13. So, I won't be in the Atelier for regular open hours this Saturday ... but you can still visit from noon-4pm.

"Tranquility" work in progress day 4, oil on linen, 30"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.
"Michelle I", oil on linen, 24"h x 18"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: