Sunday, October 11, 2009

Yesterday's Figure Drawing: "Marye, Marye"


Yesterday afternoon, I attended an open life session in McLean for the third time. I'm trying to balance painting with drawing, so I painted for four hours at the Artists' Atelier on a portrait commission -- then tore myself away to head over to the open life, long pose session held from 4-7:30pm at the McLean Community Center. It's getting really popular ... which means I might have to get there earlier in order to find a spot without any obstructions. I drew this one peeping between two other artists. A little challenging.

It's drawn on Canson pastel paper with black and white charcoal (soft vine black, black and white charcoal pencils). I love adding the white. What a difference that makes.

Everywhere I turn ... including this open life session ... are familiar faces. The pursuit and passion for art builds a very strong community with close ties. Lots of friends. Lots of shared experiences.

elan Magazine came out with its 10th anniversary edition (October 2009) with a page of each year's covers and the a listing of the artists featured each month. My cover was in May 2006 with my painting "Alan." But, also striking was how many of the featured artists are friends, fellow Great Falls Studios artists and  members of the Artists' Atelier.


The Great Falls Annual Studio Tour is this coming weekend (October 17&18), Saturday and Sunday, 10am-5pm. We'll be getting the Artists' Atelier ready all week for visitors. Come! I'll be in the Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA. Register for one of forty $50 art bucks ($2000 giveaway) being awarded at the Great Falls Studios web site: www.greatfallsstudios.com. I think the drawing is either the 14th or 15th -- so you need to hurry. You can also download a map and info at the Great Falls Studios site. The tour is free. I hope to see you there.

"Marye, Marye", black and white charcoal on Canson pastel paper, 21"h x 17"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: