Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Pumpkinfied" Pumpkin Painting and Studio Tour This Weekend


After passing one beautiful pumpkin patch after another on my way home from the Artists' Atelier, I had to post this "oldie, but goodie" in honor of the season. "Pumpkinfied" is definitely a portrait of a pumpkin. No humble gourd here.

This was Danni Dawson's (my teacher and mentor) favorite still life painting of mine. It was painted as a homework assignment ... only I think we were supposed to paint an apple. Obviously, that's not what I wanted to do. During the critique, when one student was asked to select her favorite apple painting, she answered, "The pumpkin." At least, that's what I remember.

It sure made me feel great. I've had a lot of those moments along the way ... and I appreciate them all.

Tomorrow we have a model coming in for the Atelier artists to paint or draw. This will be a renewed weekly ritual. I can't wait!!! Hopefully, I'll be able to post my painting start tomorrow.

Register for Art Bucks
Tomorrow's the last day to register for "Art Bucks" at the Great Falls Studios web site or in paper form at the Artists' Atelier. "Art Bucks" are certificates good for $50 toward purchases of art from the Great Falls Studio Tour artists. Register by 5pm. Award winners will be notified by phone prior to the Studio Tour this weekend.

Come Out for the Studio Tour This Weekend: Rain or Shine!
The Great Falls Annual Studio Tour is this weekend, October 17&18, 10am-5pm and takes place all over the artful village of Great Falls, VA. I'll be at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with 15 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls. Download a map and info at the Great Falls Studios (a consortium of 85 artists who live or work in Great Falls, VA) web site: www.greatfallsstudios.com.


"Pumpkinfied", oil, 14"h x 11"w, copyright Jill Banks 2005 (?)

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: