Friday, October 9, 2009

"Nautilus" Painting of the Day


I just needed to do something different today... to get my painting "muscles" back in shape. I've been working on portraits, a "tight" painting task -- and needed to loosen up. So, I decided to paint this nautilus shell. I will say that if my plan was simply to loosen up, I might have chosen a simpler object. But no. I am also painting this on a Raymar panel (a linen-lined, triple oil-primed surface adhered to masonite) -- not my usual surface and much more difficult for me to work with for an alla prima painting. (By the way, these panels are favorites of plein air painters -- who are definitely painting alla prima -- so they know a secret I haven't been clued in on yet.) The paint is better at sliding off than staying put on this slicker surface. My preferred surface is a medium-tooth Belgian linen stretched canvas. So, the next one I try will be on that.

Still, I was happy with the results achieved. I will work on this again to bump up some of the contrast, add some details, and play with the colorful shell highlights.

I'd like to do more of these smaller, fairly quick paintings. They're good for me. Great practice. Plus, I often end up with some fresh, nice paintings.

Next weekend is the Great Falls Annual Studio Tour. This week we'll be getting the Artists' Atelier (the studio I share with 15 other artists) ready for this big event. Visit us Saturday and Sunday, October 17&18, 10am-5pm both days). 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA 22066. The Studio Tour is a self-guided tour to studios and art venues of 44 participating artists located throughout Great Falls. Download a map and info at www.GreatFallsStudios.com. Don't miss this once a year opportunity. It's free and it's fun. Educational, too.

"Nautilus" work in progress, 10"h x 8"w, oil on Raymar panel, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: