Thursday, December 24, 2015

I Played My Drum for Him

"Serenade," oil, 10"h x 8"w, ©2015 Jill Banks
Well, not exactly.

But I love the sentiment of this Christmas Carol ... the drummer boy bringing this heartfelt and humble gift to celebrate the Christ child's birth.

I worried this year about not "doing" Christmas. There are friends and family who sent cards and presents that weren't reciprocated. It's Christmas Eve and I haven't posted a single card, wrapped a present or sent one. There are some brimming stockings, baked cookies, and plans for Christmas Day and the days that follow -- thanks to a last minute push.

Some gifts don't require wrapping paper ... like the drummer boy's "pa rum pum pum pum." Mine this year -- to brothers, sister-in-laws, nieces and nephew -- is to help however I can deliver the no-wrapping-paper-required gifts of Christmas to my Mom and Dad. Time and energy have been redirected from shopping trips to visits.

Tonight, Randy and I visited Dad at rehab ... while Mom was running some Christmas Eve errands. Dad told us to read the letters and card they
"Bringing Home the Tree," oil, ©2013 Jill Banks. Painting of a birthday gift from Mom to Dad.
received today from my brother Scott, sister-in-law Emily, and niece Annie. As Dad said, if you don't smile and shed a tear when you read this, you're not human. As Randy and I took turns trying to read those words of  Christmas memories and gifts received, we both amply proved we were human.  Geez. 

While Dad's been in rehab or the hospital with Mom constantly by his side since July ... they worry about belated presents, that they haven't been able to "shop" for one another or send out their annual poem and card.  Yet -- as Scott, Emily and Annie and every one around them knows and shows -- their gift to us is them. 

"Elf on a Chandelier" -- decoration by Dad, drawing by me.
Play your best for someone.

I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks for reading (or looking)!

Jill

Phone: 703.403.7435
Email: jill@jillbanks.com
Web:
www.JillBanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
 

See the Events page for more info/updates


Winter classes are up on my web site. Take a look!  I'll be teaching a Portrait Painting/Drawing class this January (full with wait list) on
Sunday afternoons, Still Life Plus (Personal Painting Projects on Tuesdays - 10:30am to 1:30pm  (Only 1 spot left!) and Evening Paint on Tuesday nights - 6:30 to 9:30pm (still room!)through the Arts of Great Falls School in Great Falls, VA. Classes are filling. I hope you'll sign up soon and start the New Year 2016 off right -- with art.

No comments: