Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Painting "Francie's Peonies" and Still Life Class

"Francie's Peonies," oil on Raymar panel, 12"h x 16"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011

I'm easily influenced. Today I taught my Still Life class and there were flowers everywhere. Nancy Keane and Francie Johnson both brought in peonies ... and we had hydrangeas to boot. After class (and lunch), I worked at finishing up the painting I'd started three weeks ago as a demo. I believe this one's done and it's of the first batch of peonies that Francie had brought in... thus, the name.

While I was painting this, the vase of peonies that Francie was painting today was in the floor of my studio ... saying "Paint me. Paint me!" I'm hoping that they are saying the same thing tomorrow.

Francie Johnson with her painting of today's flowers ... and her palette knife
Class was terrific today. Lots of happy painters in there. Nancy and Mary Beth learned how to tackle a blue & white porcelain vase with great results. A challenge, conquered.

Francie Johnson was having a blast wielding her palette knife and painting the new vase of flowers she'd brought in. That's the same vase that I hope to be painting tomorrow.

Demo and Artist's Talk This Saturday
I'm giving a demo and artist's talk (that should be interesting!) this Saturday, May 21, 2-5pm at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA in conjunction with my 100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibit. I hope you can come. Come anytime between 2 and 5pm and stay as long as you like. I'll have armed my sitter with some questions about the project ... in case you don't have any. That way, I have a better chance of telling you a bunch of the amazing stories that surround my 100 Faces.
 
Also, my "Mastering the Business of Art" workshop is coming up soon (May 25 & 26). If you're interested, please sign up now. Take a look at my web site: www.JillBanks.com, Classes page.


100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibits
Mark your calendars for the 100 Faces exhibit events. All 100 faces will be on view two times this Spring/Summer. These will be WONDERFUL, not to be missed exhibits. Come see everyone!
May 3-31 at the Great Falls Library, Great Falls, VA
Reception: Saturday, May 7, 2:30-5:30pm
Demo/Artist’s Talk: Saturday, May 21, 2-5pm

August at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: