Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"NYC Street" Painting Finished?

"NYC Street," oil on linen, 30"h x 40"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
I'm not positive about this ... thus the question mark. I'll look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow and let you know.

In any case this painting took some major twists and turns today. It sat pretty dormant for about a year. Today, I replaced its main characters and like it a whole lot better. It's so drastically different ... I'm not even going to direct you to its previous version. I had started it before I painted "Rainy Day in NYC," "Birds of a Feather," and "Five Umbrellas." It was a new direction, exploring the abstract qualities of urban streets.

See more of my work at my web site's gallery pages ...

Tomorrow I'll look again to see if there's a way to strengthen it.  Take things out? Look at the paint application and textures.

My head is still wrapped around my 100 Faces project. The exhibit is up until May 31 at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA. I'll be giving a demo, artist's talk on Saturday, 2-5pm there. I hope you'll join me. The price is definitely right. Free. And fun.

I keep thinking about how to tell this story. I definitely have plans to put together a book, ... but now I have multiple ideas about how that might take shape. I want to show the paintings and my sitter's story excerpts in one. But I'd like to explore the journey in another... the whole story. My life's fuller because of it. I want to share it better than I have so far.

And for the artists out there who want to get serious about their art careers, register for my "Mastering the Business of Art" workshop that I'm giving May 25 & 26. Get information on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), classes page. Please register by May 18.


100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibits
All 100 faces will be on view two times this Spring/Summer.  Come see!
May 3-31 at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA
Demo/Artist’s Talk: Saturday, May 21, 2-5pm
August 1-31 at the Gallery in the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm

www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: