Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Today at the National Gallery and Tower Bridge

We drew at Tower Bridge this afternoon. Here's mine. Watercolor and ink pen and pencil.
Today was a jam-packed tour of the National Gallery in London. The museum is overwhelming with the best of everything. We really saw the "tip of the iceberg." Gorgeous tip, though it was.

I do want to create a copy of something. I left Rome last year assuming I'd paint a copy of a Caravaggio because there is so much to learn there. Today we saw for the second time, Caravaggio's "Supper at Emmaus" ... and that just might be the one. But there was also a gorgeous ... and touching ... self-portrait by Rembrandt "Self Portrait at 63: that is tempting. It's not like I want to copy everything I see. I've only done a few copies that I can think of ... and it seems right to be selective. It's a learning tool and time-consuming. An exercise to make the most of.

After a full day at the National Gallery, a group of us took a trip to Tower Hill to draw Tower Bridge. By the way, this is NOT the London Bridge. I thought it was ... a myth I share with all Americans according to the tour guides. London Bridge is a nondescript, unmemorable ... bridge close to Tower Bridge. Lesson for today.

"Supper at Emmaus" by Caravaggio, National Gallery at London
With my paid-for internet moments dwindling ... I'll post this and perhaps (albeit unlikely) come back to it. (After Randy checks his email.) It's been a very, very full day. My head's overflowing with images and inspiration.


100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibits
Even though I’m out of town, please mark your calendars for the 100 Faces exhibit events. All 100 faces will be on view two times this Spring/Summer. These will be WONDERFUL, not to be missed exhibits. Come see everyone!
May 3-31 at the Great Falls Library, Great Falls, VA
Reception: Saturday, May 7, 2:30-5:30pm
Demo/Artist’s Talk: Saturday, May 21, 2-5pm

August at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm

I hope to be blogging regularly during my stay here. See what's new. Hopefully tomorrow.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

Here's a Repeat: You've Got to See the School! Register Now... Classes Start Beginning of May!
Wow! I went to see the classroom that I normally teach in ... now expanded to include my previous second downstairs studio at 1144 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Wow again! I'm so excited about teaching there in May. The expansion made all the difference. It gets great light. There's plenty of room. Such a difference. I'll try to take a photo of the classroom soon and post it here. Yea!

Get info about the classes I'm offering on the Classes page on my web site. Portrait Painting and Drawing. Still Life Painting in Oils. A workshop on "Mastering the Business of Art" on May 25 & 26, 6:30-9:30pm. Sign up. Be happy!!!

No comments: