Saturday, April 2, 2011

Emily Is Face #92

"Emily: Face #92," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Fourteen-year-old Emily became Face #92 today. She's a fresh(wo)man at Madeira High School and a friend (godchild) of Joan Devine (Face #34). Emily found out about my project through Joan. Thanks, Joan! It was a pleasure to meet, talk with and paint Emily. Great company!

I'll get back to this post sometime tonight. Believe it or not, it's dinner time. My 100 Faces project wreaks havoc on "normal" meal times. More soon! Plus I have great news for my post #3.

Okay ... I'm back. Emily just returned home from a trip to Madrid ... a place I really want to go. She visited there with five of her schoolmates and attended classes in Spain -- drawing some comparisons between school there vs. her experience. Interesting contrast ... made more so because Emily's obviously a great observer. Objective.


She also had a chance to visit museums in Spain (one of the main reasons I want to go). I'd mentioned that my favorite painter, Joaquin Sorolla, was a Spaniard ... earlier in the conversation. Emily recounted much of what she'd seen at the Prado including Velasquez's "Las Meninas." She really absorbed the whole experience.

Then she talked about going to the home of one of the Spanish painters and that he was her favorite. Guess whose home? Sorolla's. She mentioned that he'd painted children on the beach. I pulled one of my many books about this master. Emily was a good visual guide for this place I ... sooo ... want to go.

I'd first received an email from Emily that she'd like to volunteer for my project and that she is a friend of Joan Devine's. Considering the age difference (between Emily and Joan), I thought that was a interesting and unusual introduction. Now it's a bit more understandable. At the young age of 14, Emily is fun, natural, comfortable, interesting, interested company. What a treasure!

By the way ... Emily's birthday is on May 7 ... the day of the reception of the 100 Faces exhibit at the Great Falls Library. She's planning to attend as Face #92. We better celebrate!

Upcoming Exhibits of My 100 Faces in 100 Days Project: May 2011 at the Great Falls Public Library (Great Falls, VA). Reception: Saturday, May 7 afternoon. Demo/Talk: Saturday, May 21
August 2011 at the Gallery in the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Details to come.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Jerry Stocks said...

Another wonderful painting. Am envious that she can attend the exhibition. Wish I could. Jerry