Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gwen White Is Face #95 in the 100 Faces In 100 Days Project

"Gwen White: Face #95," oil, 12"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2011
Getting very, very close... to the end of my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project. The last day will be April 10 (the 100th day of 2011). Then there will be exhibits (May and August and perhaps more) where I hope my 100 Faces -- the painted and real versions will gather.
 Fellow artist Gwen White sat for me today. Gwen and I know each other mainly because we've gone on art historical/drawing travel trips together that are led by Robert Liberace offered through the Art League. (We've been to Florence (2006), Venice (2008) and Rome (2010) together.)

Even though we've attended the same trips, we haven't spent much time talking one on one ... so this was a nice opportunity to learn more about each other.

Gwen's been going on regular workshops, travel trips and taking classes for a lot longer than me. Fun destinations and interesting adventures. She went on a watercolor workshop to the Cotswolds and brought photos to show Randy of me ... as this is one of our potential destinations ... soon. Looks pretty terrific. Who knows when Spring blossoms in England?

Gwen with part of the painting...
She mentioned a recurring theme with artists ... they worry that they are trying too many different media, too many different genres and styles. Gwen paints in watercolor, oil, mixed media and draws. While most of her work is classical, she also creates abstracts. She likes it all. I understand the issue. I love all sorts of subjects and working in different media. Focusing is tough and temporary. Going off on tangents seems constant. (But I have just painted 95 faces in a row...)

Tiredness set in today, I think, and it impaired my painting capabilities. I'm still evaluating Gwen's face ... even after working on it after she left. My photo of Gwen with a part of the painting is evidence the painting and she did not look like a pair. As usual with almost all my-not-so-sure days, Gwen was great. I just couldn't kick quite into gear. (I did skip coffee today ... )

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435


Here's a Repeat: You've Got to See the School! Register Now...
Wow! I went to see the classroom that I normally teach in ... now expanded to include my previous second downstairs studio at 1144 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Wow again! I'm so excited about teaching there in May. The expansion made all the difference. It gets great light. There's plenty of room. Such a difference. I'll try to take a photo of the classroom soon and post it here. Yea!

Get info about the classes I'm offering on the Classes page on my web site. Portrait Painting and Drawing. Still Life Painting in Oils. A workshop on "Mastering the Business of Art" on May 25 & 26, 6:30-9:30pm.

1 comment:

Jerry Stocks said...

Another great painting--can't believe you will be finished on April 10--it seems like just yesterday that we were starting to plan our trip to see you. My knitting group saw and admired our four paintings when we meet last night. Spenser's birthday is April 9th so we will be celebrating that as well as your 99th painting.