Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Day of Drawing: The British Museum and Regent's Park

Two quick posts. I've written enough lately.

"Elgin Marble Horse," graphite on Italian paper, copyright Jill Banks 2011
This morning was spent drawing at the British Museum ... where we made a beeline for the controversial Elgin Marbles, saved from the ruins of the Parthenon. It seemed like Ancient Greece visited London and has been staying awhile. I went for a cushy, wonderful chair (the only one in sight) to sit in and draw. Talk about being in a coveted position. Given how creaky my bones were from sitting on the ground at Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London and near Parliament, I was staying put. No offers to give up my post were forthcoming. Heaven.

I also visited a wonderful art supply store ... L. Cornelissen, around the corner from the British Museum. Nancy Keane had given me the well-appreciated hint. With bottles full of pure pigment and painters' potions everywhere, it was a whole lot of fun. I actually bought some stuff. That's an endorsement.

"Regent's Park," watercolor/ink/pencil, copyright Jill Banks 2011
The afternoon was spent at Regent's Park on a drawing exposition. What a gorgeous place. All these parks are unbelievable. I can't imagine the crew that designs, plants, maintains these spots. Walking through them makes me feel joyful. I wonder how these parks affect the psyche of Londoners. Sure seems like they enjoy them.

I'm anxious to return to color. I've enjoyed my drawing days but feel a bit like my hands are tied behind my back. What colors there are around here make a major impact ... perhaps because there's a lion's share dose of gray. The gardens were dotted with colors... chartreuse, deep purples, yellow dots, dark green spires. It'd be nice to show you. Bet that comes with time.

 Drawing time was cut short by our first encounter with rain on an almost two-week trip. Who would have thought?

It's almost time to head home.

Happy Easter!

And coming any minute (or so it seems)...

100 Faces in 100 Days Exhibits
Even though I’m out of town, please mark your calendars for the 100 Faces exhibit events. All 100 faces will be on view two times this Spring/Summer. These will be WONDERFUL, not to be missed exhibits. Come see everyone!
May 3-31 at the Great Falls Library, Great Falls, VA
Reception: Saturday, May 7, 2:30-5:30pm
Demo/Artist’s Talk: Saturday, May 21, 2-5pm

August at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA
Reception: Friday, August 12, 6-9pm
Ice Cream Social: Saturday, August 13, 2-4pm


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

Here's a Repeat: You've Got to See the School! Register Now... Classes Start Beginning of May!
Wow! I went to see the classroom that I normally teach in ... now expanded to include my previous second downstairs studio at 1144 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA. Wow again! I'm so excited about teaching there in May. The expansion made all the difference. It gets great light. There's plenty of room. Such a difference. I'll try to take a photo of the classroom soon and post it here. Yea!

Get info about the classes I'm offering on the Classes page on my web site. Portrait Painting and Drawing. Still Life Painting in Oils. A workshop on "Mastering the Business of Art" on May 25 & 26, 6:30-9:30pm. Sign up. Be happy!!!

2 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

Glad you got to see the Elgin Marbles that I told you about. Don't you think the Brits should give them back to Greece? Glad you are having such a great trip.

Jill Banks said...

It does seem strange to see so much of a National Landmark in another locale.

Now I'm back home ... with lots to catch up on, but London was wonderful. There was so much to see and do, there are many reasons to go back.

Hope you (and family) had a great Easter.