Monday, October 18, 2010

Studio Tour Updates, Today's Portrait Class and More...

Honestly, given the title this post would be WAAAAY too long. I'll try an abbreviated version.

The Great Falls Annual Studio Tour weekend was fantastic thanks to the brilliant efforts of the Great Falls Studios artists, leadership, board, Great Falls Foundation for the Arts board, support of the community, businesses, friends and family. We drew unbelievable crowds at the Artists' Atelier (the studio I share with 16 other artists at 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA 22066). My estimate is approximately 500 studio visitors each day at our location. AMAZING. I've never talked so much in my life. (I listened too.)

"Made in China" demo work in progress
I sold two paintings ("Beets and Orange" and "Pizza and Pesce") and two drawings ("After Caravaggio" and "Quiet"). Lots of other paintings received plenty of real interest. We'll see what happens.  I already miss my sold works. That's just part of the package of being an artist.

Over the weekend -- incredibly -- I didn't take any photos. Hopefully some of my studiomates have pics I can share later. The place looked better than ever.

I did a sort of demo for one hour on both Saturday and Sunday. I wasn't trying to accomplish anything other than give a general idea of materials and how to start a painting. "Made in China"... this painting start was the "result."

Today was the first day with a new model and pose in my portrait class. I painted, too ... and am looking forward to hiring Lilia (our model) to pose for a portrait on my own. Wow.

Lastly, sorry for the lousy photo but "Magnolia Leaves and Gourds" is looking like it might be done. I'll take a look in the light of day tomorrow to reassess. Visitors on the tour were fascinated to look at this as a work in progress along with the setup in my studio. One visitor accidentally moved my gourd.

Thanks to all who came out to visit!

"Magnolia Leaves and Gourds", 30"h x 24"w, oil on linen
 "Made in China" work in progress, 24"h x 18"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2010.
"Costumed"
"Magnolia Leaves and Gourds" done?, 30"h x 24"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: